Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

"Fish-Tail"

Jim Gordon

I have come across a reference to an item of German ordnance named the "Fish-Tail" Machine. From the text I assume that a "fish-tail" was some form of mortar bomb or grenade. Can anyone confirm ?

Regards

Jim Gordon

I do not Know about the motorcycle reference but I have seen these mentioned also in the 25th Battalion CEF War Diary. Here is a quote from Aug. 23 1916.

Enemy artillery quite active during the day, almost 40 1" landing to the right of shelley lane. About 120 rumjars and fishtails doing considerable damage to Trench 22. M.G. and rifle fire normal. Three patrols covered our front during the night report enemy very busy working in rear of their front line. Much noise and talking heard. Also sounds of gravel or stone being unloaded. Enemy wire is in good condition and four feet high in places.

The reference refers to fishtails as artillery whether a mortar or artillery round I cannot say for sure. I have allways suspected that they were large finned flying mines myself.

Best regards

N.S.regt.

Charles

No I don't think it has anything to do with motor cycles The reference came from an entry in the War Diary of the 50th Battalion (The Alberta Regiment) dated 11.5.17. They captured this machine which had on previous days taken part in various bombardments of minnies, and to quote, "salvoes of fish-tails". They were relieved on 11.5.17 and record the capture of a fish-tail machine as a trophy. I am particulary interested in this epsode as my Uncle Robert Crichton, of the 50th, lost his life on 11.5.17 during this operation.

Regards

Jim Gordon

Jim

We must have been posting at the same time

N.S.Regt.

Charles/NSRegt.

A bit like waiting for a Bus. None come for an hour and then hree come at the same time. Anyway thank you both for your replies !

Regards

Jim Gordon

Jim

This is what I believe they were refering to as I said I was not sure what it is for sure so I was reluctant in posting when I first saw this. Here is a link

Best regards

N.S.Regt

N.S.Regt

Thanking you for the Link. Very interesting. The Battalion was heavily attacked with gas in the period 8th/10th May,1917

I wonder whether the term "Fish-tail" is peculiar to Canadian troops description of this projectile.

Regards

Jim Gordon

Jim

I am not sure about the use of the word fishtail but it is mentioned a fair amount in the 25th battalion war diary. I could never find a reference to fishtails on the net. The French used a similar type of projectile as in the link, which was a good size I have seen German's referring to these as flying Pigs maybe fishtail was a Canadian term???

Best regards

N.S.Regt.

Peter

Thank you for the Link. I've found a few others since.

I did not know that the Spigot Mortar had been used in WW1. My acquaintance with it came as a 16 year old Private in the Home Guard.

A larger version was used by the Royal Navy and fired in salvoes against enemy submarines. It was called "The Hedgehog",

Regards

Jim Gordon