Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who were the British soldiers at Neufmarche(Gournay en Bray, France)in

Guest christiane

Guest christiane

Would anyone know which British regiments (the military term maybe incorrect-division??) were stationed in France at Neufmarche close to a farm called Le Joyeux repos, nr Gournay-en-Bray(76 Seine -Maritime) between November & February 1914 and again between Sept 1917 & December 1917? My search is for 2 different soldiers.

In the first case, the soldier is my grandfather & all I know is his name was “Jimmy” and he didn’t want to know about the baby he conceived with my grand-mother & there isn't a father's name on my father's birth certificate. I am most unlikely to find out what his surname was or if he was killed in action but it would be a progress for me to know from which part of the UK he came from. I know that the soldiers based there actually got their food from my great-grandfather’s farm. Could there have been a hospital camp or a camp where soldiers recuperated before going (back)to the front?

In the second case, another British soldier was the father of my grandmother's second child 3 years later. I know that this time she was helped financially after she went to see the commander ( again not sure of the miltary term) and I wonder if there would have been some written records even though the soldier's name does not appear in the birth certificate either.

I've tried reading the French local newspapers but no luck so far. Thank you for helping me.

Christiane