Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What is this tool?

Chris Caul

I first posted this photo of my great grandad last year, hoping that someone might be able to identify the tool hanging from his belt buckle. There were a few suggestions, but no-one seemed to be able to say conclusively what it was.

I have looked closely at a lot of photos since then of soldiers in different theatres, especially Mesopotamia (where he served), but I still haven't seen any yet of soldiers with a similar tool attached to their belt, so I'm re-posting the photo in the hope that someone else will see it and tell me what it is.

Thanks,

Chris.

post-23-1093031958.jpg

I must need an eye test - I can't see anything hanging from his belt buckle, let alone tell you what it is.

Sorry

Anthony

Not meaning to be insulting :lol:

You don't mean the hat do you?

Otherwise like Anthony, I see nothing.

Cheers.

John.

Sorry, can't see anything either.

Did it drop off when you posted the photo? :lol:

I agree with Anthony...maybe me eye's gittin old, but I can see nothing hanging from his belt buckle.

DrB

i was going to post that i couldn't see anything but thought i'd wait for others first

nice pagri tho

Was your great grandad an artilleryman, by any chance? There's the slightest chance that that might be a coiled up lanyard (used to fire the piece).

Mike Morrison

here's my guess

I think it a curled upp wick for a lighter with a fuzzy end . the lighter would be in his pocket with the wick still showing.

Is it just me, or does the blur look vaguely like a Rifle Brigade (or similar) capbadge?

Nah.....it's a clip...the sort you keep your keys or used on a halter etc. Perhaps a clasp knife or something similar is attached and is inside his pocket?

Tim D

The tool appears to be a hoof-pick. This implement was used by cavalrymen to remove small stones from their chargers' hooves. Pity about all of those chaps with poor eyesight. My Aunt Georgina would recommend that they eat up all of their carrots....

By a process of elimination I am 99% sure that he was in the North Staffordshire regt, but with no records to go on I can't really prove it. The reason I posted the photo was because I have exhausted all other means of enquiries and I hoped that someone may have been able to identify the object and by doing so shed some more light.

Hoof pick was suggested the last time I posted the photo as well, Bert. I suppose infantrymen could have used them on their pack animals, the same as cavalry used them on their horses.

Thanks for the replies.

Chris

Im not one for doing blow ups of other peoples trousers but it luck like he was carring a

LUCKY RABBITS FOOT ;)

All soldiers should have one in their kit. They were manufactured by Coney & Co but the practice was stopped on the bring in of the Burroughs Bill. (Equality for rabbits) :D

Fred