Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Disabled & Discharged Scroll

Andy_D

Hello!

I have just obtained a disabled & discharged scroll to No. S,E, 25681 Private Henry Stanley,Royal Army Veterinary Corps,and I have a few questions about it.

What do the initials S,E, before his service number stand for?

Is it unusual that he was discharged as disabled after the war(27 th January 1919)?

Are these scrolls rare,and roughly how much do they sell for?

Apologies for the questions,but this is the first one of these I have owned and i'm eager to learn!

Kind regards,

Andy

post-23-1093029346.jpg

Most AVC other Ranks have the Pre~Fix "SE",it has as far as I know no specific meaning,just a designation that it is AVC.

It is not uncommon to find servicemen discharged due to injury,wounds,illness after the cessation of hostilities,they would have been discharged when the Military could do no more for them in the manner of treatment,prosthetics,etc.

These Scrolls are.not uncommon,& appear in varying Condition,from near mint in original tube to glued by fish glue onto board and "Clipped" in size,Value is an inordinate thing,they do have a commercial price,usually depending on how much the purchaser is prepared to pay,I have seen them @ Car boot sales @ £4.00 or on dealers lists @ £50{which doesn't automatically follow that that is what they are worth!}To arrive @ a sensible "price" one would have to consider ,which unit it was to,the condition,who might wish to buy it,etc;

I've just had a check through a previous posting - regarding prefix/suffix's to serial numbers - and it would seem that "SE" means he was attached to the "9th Section".

Les.

I'm not sure that's true, evitT. SE was a common AVC prefix and not confined to one unit. I suspect, but have never been able to confirm, that it stood for Special Enlistment. It seems to have been applied to wartime - "for the duration" - enlisted men.

I thought you would be interested in this the scrolls were also sent out to Canadians. I have a small number of them but they do show up from time to time.

Best regards

N.S.Regt.

post-23-1093036251.jpg

I'm not sure that's true, evitT. SE was a common AVC prefix and not confined to one unit. I suspect, but have never been able to confirm, that it stood for Special Enlistment. It seems to have been applied to wartime - "for the duration" - enlisted men.

Chris,

I may be mistaken, but I took the details from a previous long posting showing numerous (understatement!) prefix's and their meanings.

Les.