Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Which Regiment does this Uniform belong to please?

annie48

I have been communicating on this fantastic forum for information on my Grandfather, Arthur John Wright of High Wycombe and have received excellent information and guidance. I am aware, and this has been confirmed that he was in the 47th Battallion MGC when he was awarded the miltary medal in 1918 and had enlisted in the 23rd Londons. It has been suggested that he may have been in the KRRC in 1915 the year his eldest son says he enlisted. As I have a photograph of Arthur John Wright scanned from a family diary but with no other information written it was suggested that I posted it into this forum in the hope that someone may be able to help. My grandfather is not wearing headgear and I am unable to make out any other possible badges. Hoping that an individual can throw some further light on the uniform.

Thank you

Annie

post-92276-0-41329800-1347720811_thumb.j

No idea what he is in, but the brass buttons indicate he WASN'T in the KRRC as a rifle regiment would have black buttons.

No idea what he is in, but the brass buttons indicate he WASN'T in the KRRC as a rifle regiment would have black buttons.

Not necessarily true, as issue jackets had the brass GS buttons attached, and under war time conditions they weren't always swapped over to the horn type.

Thank you Steven for your reply, much appreciated. At least that has cleared up one suggestion that he may have been in the KRRC and that this uniform doesn't relate to that period of his service?

regards

Annie

There is an Arthur John Wright listed in KRRC he was a corporal and appears a few ahead of your man on the ancestry page of mic's your grandfather went overseas after 31/12/15.john

At least that has cleared up one suggestion that he may have been in the KRRC and that this uniform doesn't relate to that period of his service?

He is wearing SD (or "Service Dress"), the classic uniform of the average WW1 Tommy. Unfortunately without a cap badge or any other sort of regimental identification visible.

Thank you all for your contribution to my question. I did think that without a cap badge or other regimental identification it would be difficult to pinpoint an exact regiment.

I will look again at the Ancestry page of MIC's

Thank you

Regards

Annie

John. The Arthur John Wright KRRC on Ancestry MICs is not likely to be my grandfather who was aged 17 in 1915 . I believe the rank of corporal would usually mean the individual may have already served 7-8 years in service?? I would have expected my grandfather at aged 17 to be of the rank of Private as showing in his MICs for 23rd Londons & 47th MGC. Thank you just the same for pointing the MIC out to me

Regards

Annie