Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Frederick Hamilton 1/5th King's Liverpool Regiment

ALCTay

Hi,

Pte/Cprl Frederick Hamilton 200051 1/5th King's Liverpool Regiment (medal card gives previous number 879)

Died 1st Feb 1919 in Liverpool

I found a single page from his records which is the 'first award - widow' form (below) which shows his wife and child were granted a pension

post-38036-0-44238600-1347636053_thumb.j

This made me wonder whether they would have got a pension if he was discharged before his death and so whether he should have a CWGC commemoration. I got a copy of his death certificate to see if it shed any light...

His death certificate doesn't mention his service contributing to cause of death (pneumonia) BUT under occupation it says Corporal, 1/5 King's LiverpoolRegt (Boot Salesman) and I know he was a boot salesman before he enlisted.

So, can anyone help me establish whether he had been discharged prior to his death? The pension form had the word 'discharged' written across the top of it but I thought that might apply to the pension request rather than the soldier?

Thanks

Amanda

Hi Amanda

Do you have the link to the file as will have to read it before I can advise further

Chris

The link is http://search.ancestry.co.uk/Browse/view.aspx?dbid=1219&path=H.Ha.Ham.77810&sid=&gskw=

I've been given the following information about the regulations quoted on the pension award http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=184594 (Thank you Ron Clifton)

Here are the relevant sections of the Royal Warrant of 17 April 1918:

11. The widow of a soldier who is [a] killed while in performance of military duty during the present war, or
dies as a result of wounds or injuries received in the performance of such duty within seven years of receiving such wounds or injuries, or [c] dies of disease certified as contracted or commencing while on active service during the present war, or as having been aggravated by active service, within seven years, of his removal from duty on account of such disease, may, provided that the soldier's death has not been caused by his serious negligenceor misconduct, be granted a widow's pension at the following weekly rates:

Widow of WO Class I 21s 3d

Widow of WO Class II or NCO Class I 18s 9d

Widow of NCO Class II 17s 6d

Widow of NCO Class III 16s 3d

Widow of NCO Class IV 15s 0d

Widow of private, &c 13s 9d.

The pension granted to the widow of a soldier who held paid acting rank at the time he was killed or was removed from duty owing to wounds, injuries, or disease,from which he subsequently died, may be at the rate appropriate to that rank.

12. A widow pensioned under Article 11 of this Our Warrant may be granted an allowance at the following weekly rates for each child under 16 maintained by her:

For a first child 6s 8d

For a second child 5s 0d

For each child after the second 4s 2d

The provisions for the grant or continuation of this allowance beyond the agev of 16, for its administration to secure the proper maintenance of the child, and for its reduction to which the parent is relieved of the charge of the child shall be as set forth in subsections (2), (3) and (4) of Article 2 of this Our Warrant.

(Artcle 2 refers to child allowances paid to disabled soldiers.)

Which made me think that even if he had been discharged, his death must have been attributable to military service for the pension to have been awarded.

Of course you'll know much more about all that than I do, thanks for taking a look.

Amanda

Hi Amanda

Unfortunately that is all there is on the file & there is nothing here that makes a link between his cause of discharge & his cause of death

Sorry

Chris

Hi Chris,

Thanks for checking it for me. I was hoping that the fact the pension was granted under articles 11 &12 would be enough but I guess not.

I guess my next step is to find out whether he had been discharged before his death or not.

Amanda

That would be the next step

Could you post a copy of the DC on here please

It looks as though he was still a soldier.

He died in Toxteth Park Workhouse Infirmary, later Sefton General Hospital. There was an Army Auxiliary Hospital on the site at that time, I've recently been looking at a soldier who was admitted there in late 1918 with Influenza.

He's in the KLR database but I don't know what they have on him.

Is he buried in Toxteth Cemetery?

Sandie

I'm going to try and get a photo of the gravestone this week sometime, it's on here http://www.toxtethparkcemeteryinscriptions.co.uk/?search-class=DB_CustomSearch_Widget-db_customsearch_widget&widget_number=2&cs-post_title-0=hamilton&cs--1=&cs-all-2=1919&cs-all-3=&search=Search so hopefully is still standing.

Sandie, Do you mean the KLR database at the museum ?

Hi Amanda,

Yes, the database at Liverpool Museum. I know they don't have service records but I don't know what they do have.

Daggers will be able to tell us!

Sandie

That's the frustrating thing about it, there are so many hints that he may have been a serving soldier, or that the illness may have been contracted when he was - but no proof yet!

I've used the database before and it varies from man to man what is available, I'll have to see if I can get there, as for the Maritime Archives, I know they have some regimental records but as far as I know the only casualty book they have is for the 6th Bn and Frederick was in the 5th... I can't think of any records they have that would give discharge details. Open to suggestions though!

You just need that bit more; local newspapers?

I have the obituary notice for this soldier which reads:-3rd Feb 1919-Liverpool Express.

HAMILTON:- Feb 1 after a short illness, at Smithdown Road Infirmary, in his 27th year, Frederick the beloved husband of Enily Hamilton. Funeral at Smithdown Road cemetery, to-morrow (Thursday) at 3.o'clock. No other articles in the local press.

Well, that's him!

No help to Amanda though, no hint of his military service.

Kathy, can I ask where you found the notice? There are a few things I want to look up in Liverpool newspapers.

Sandie

Well, that's him!

No help to Amanda though, no hint of his military service.

Kathy, can I ask where you found the notice? There are a few things I want to look up in Liverpool newspapers.

Sandie

Liverpool Evening Express.Liverpool Echo also quite good for obituaries.

• 11 years later...