Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Wrong British War Medal?

sasplin

When my grandfather passed away I was given his British War Medal - Pte Thomas Corbett, 2890, Worcestershire Regiment. I was very excited as I'd never been able to find any of his war records. My grandfather's name however was William Collins, so this couldn't be his medal.

At first I assumed it may have been a colleague. But recently I noticed an MIC for a William Collins, 2889, 40319 Worcstershire Regiment (1 regimental number down). Could he simply have been mailed the wrong medals? Were numbers issued alphabetically, or simply issued as and when people joined up? Collins and Corbett are very close alphabetically.

Were many medals mis-directed?

Additionally, I can't verify if 2889, 40319 is my grandfather. All I know was that he was born about 1891 in Droitwich, Worcs.

I'm very confused!

Steve

A possibilty is that Corbett was you GFs "Pal" and they swapped War Medals, often wearing their Buddies medal in place of their own in the group, I have seen this on occassion,an Officer wearing his Batmans Victory Medal amongst his own group.

But, being buddies, if they had joined up together, so literally one after the other in the line wouldn't they potentially have been given adjacent numbers? Not always, but quite possible.

• Admin

But the chances of them having adjacent regimental numbers?

Quite good if they were pals before the war and went to the recruiting station together.

Army numbering is a black art but as I understand it, recruiting centres were issued blocks of numbers to hand out sequentially so if they were in line together..... This is why brothers are often found to have adjoining numbers too.

Glen

Track down his Victory Medal - must be somewhere in the family - if that is his, then he was probably not sent the wrong set of medals and Harry's suggestion becomes more likely...

Thanks for the responses guys. Unfortunately I've been unable to locate his Victory Medal - a large family spread across quite a few countries now!

There are a number of William Collins' with MICs for the Worcester's, but I think 2889 seems quite likely to be my GF.