Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

smle paint job

Khaki

Any recommendations for a paint stripper to remove that heavy preservative military paint that was applied to smle's in generous quantities?. Something that is safe for rifle and user

khaki

khaki,

Is this something you yourself are working on ? if so, do you have any photographs of the rifle. Paint stripper can be very difficult to work with, as it can also remove the rifle's original factory finish and damage the woodwork, and are you talking about paint or the storage grease ' Cosmolene ', which hardens and sometimes looks like paint ?

Regards,

LF

Thanks LF, This is definitely black paint, and is on every metal part except the bolt and butt plate, it is a 1915 Lithgow with the mag cutoff, No1 MkIII, even the magazine is painted, The paint is well done and I am in two minds as to either leave it as it is or remove it to give it a more Great War look. It has a tiny amount of pitting around the magazine, (probably got splashed coming ashore at Anzac Cove) otherwise it in very good shootable condition.

regards

khaki

A fair chance its been in India - they liked to use a lot of black paint. Chris (4thG) should be well informed as to the best cure for it, if he sees this.

Cheers, S>S

khaki,

Either leave it as it is, or perhaps try using the finest grade of wire wool ' 0000 ' grade with a little light gun oil, and very lightly rub off the top surface layer of the paint, that may give you a more authentic finish to the metal parts.

I agree with shippingsteel, Chris may have some good suggestions.

Regards,

LF

Thanks guys

I will not rush into doing anything, but will watch this post and see what develop's, maybe someone else has been down this road already.

khaki

If it is the paint frequently used in India it often comes off very easily indeed rubbing the metal with something like WD 40 will often have it falling off (if you decide to do this then I would definitely remove all the metal parts from the wood (ie disassemble the rifle) first to avoid getting it on the wood as it can do nasty things to it.

The black painting in India is not usually described as "well done" it is usually quite thick and applied very liberally with a brush. It is however a very effective corrosion preventer. This leads some people to suggest it was just a storage measure but I do not believe this is the case as the dozen or so painted ishapore rifles I have all have wear patterns in the paint far more consistent with USE than with storage. Not everyone agrees with me however.

Are there any other signs of Indian use/ownership? (lateral screw through the forestock? FR stamping below the safety, replacement forend with a metal backstrap?)

Quite a good proportion of rifles that have come into the US more recently from India (many DP rifles) have been Lithgow rifles it seems.

I too would like to see pictures.

A 1915 Lithgow would have blued finish under the wood - unless it was refinished in Australia in WWII (or later) when it would have a greenish slightly rough finish to the metal. (see pics posted today of an original condition 1914!)

Does the rifles have volley sights too of has the wood been replaced? Is it the original 1915 barrel (date under upper handguard). It would be slightly unusual (never say never) for the cut-off to survive intact if the rifle went through WWII service but it may have been installed by previous owners of course, it is also possible that a previous owner (not military) wanted to paint the rifle! If this is the case then the paint will be far harder to remove (esp if it is applied over the WWII finish).

Painting (with green or khaki paint of various shades) was authorized/required in WWII for rifles in service. Pre war practice was to disassemble the rifle and grease all the metal under the wood to prevent corrosion but as an expedient during WWII (for the duration) this was replaced by painting. Post war the old practice was reverted to which meant most paint was removed but green or kahki painted metalwork below the woodline is still quite common.

Regarding the question SHOULD you remove the paint? I think this is personal. It's yours and you can do what you like.

FWIW - I do not ever remove the paint from my Indian use rifles because it is part of their service history as far as I am concerned. I do have some where the paint has been removed (not by me) and the finish underneath is good.

If you believe the finish is not part of the service history of the rifle (ie applied by someone after it was surplussed out), or you wish to restore the rifle to WWI appearance then you might want to remove it - but I would experiment on concealed surfaces first to see how well bonded the paint is to the surface. Also check the finish under the paint. As I said it may have the greenish WWII finish or the very matt-blackened finish used on some Indian refurbs.

I have removed paint from sportered actions that I acquired because they are particularly interesting I always start with WD 40 or oil and then try one of the citrus type strippers before moving up to the heavy duty marine type stripping agents -- I have not had a problem with these damaging the finish underneath but would not swear that they will not and would suggest exercising caution and using the mildest effective agent.

I would also totally strip the rifle down to its component parts before doing this (and remember to remove the forestock before you remove the butt!) keep whatever you are using on the metal away from the wood.

Chris

Thanks Chris,

On closer examination I have to agree that the paint was applied with a brush, I probably should have said it was well covered in paint, the paint is thicker in parts and I was unable to see anything under the top wood, it is all matching numbers apart from the magazine which is not numbered. There is no obvious sign of Indian ownership, no lateral screw or markings that I can see. There are no volley sights or suggestion that there ever had been (when were they omitted by Lithgow can they be transitional?) The butt stock is inletted for a disc.

I tend to agree with you thoughts that the paint is part of it's history and I will probably leave it as it is as the paint does not detract from it's appearance.

regards

khaki

the paint does not detract from it's appearance.

regards

khaki

.... so do we get to see it? :thumbsup:

Chris

Chris, If I ever stop buying disposable camera's and figure out how to download/upload reload maybe? I will make the smle my first project.

(If I still have it.)

Regards

khaki

I have found that most auto shop spray on brake cleaner and a good toothbrush works well for removing the Indian black paint. If it were an original RFI then the paint could stay. I prefer to have the original type finish for the period the rifle first saw action.

Thanks smle enfield,

I hadn't thought of 'spray on brake cleaner' if I do end up removing the paint I will consider that with the other interesting 'tips'. Maybe try each out separately on say, two of the sling swivels.

regards

khaki