Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Regiment & cap badge information

glryan

I think that he is an RSM judging by the crowns on his sleeves. He could be Grenadier Guards, but he could also be North'd Fusiliers, Inniskilling Fusiliers or Munster Fusiliers, the badges are all very similar, but the ball appears to have something on it rather than being plain as for the Grenadier Guards.

I would agree with the other posters - a sergeant major in a Fusilier unit, and not Grenadier Guards. In addition to the regiments already mentioned, there were of course the Royal Fusiliers, a very large regiment.

The rank would actually be dependant on date - in most regiments, in 1914 the crown on the lower sleeve would denote a RSM, by 1915 this would be the RQMS or a CSM, and by 1918 it was only worn by the CSM.

the ball appears to have something on it rather than being plain as for the Grenadier Guards.

The ball of a Grenadier Guards warrant officer's badge had the monarch's cypher on it. Corporals and Privates had the plain ball. The flame, however, appears to be, as mentioned by Old Owl, Northumberland, Inniskilling or Royal Munster Fusiliers.

Regards

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

My grandfather's cap badge, if an example assists:

cap_badge.jpg

26th Northumberland Fusiliers: Lt. George Van Wyck Laughton

• 1 month later...

Gents, the cap badge is Munster Fusiliers.

Seph

I have to agree, it looks like the outline of a tiger on the badge.

Yes I agree. I think he is a Royal Munster Fusiliers (Regimental) Sergeant Major - I too can see the tiger. The reason I think that he is the top dog and not a CSM is because he has had his jacket altered, officer style, with scalloped chest pocket flaps and mitred cuffs (above which sit the wound stripe and large crown badge).

CSMs were not entitled to a jacket modified in that way. There is an anomaly however, in that wound stripes were not authorised until 1916 and by that date the RSM should have been wearing a coat of arms badge. Perhaps badges of the correct pattern had not yet arrived in the unit.

post-599-0-58392200-1352058761_thumb.jpg