Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Somewhere in India? Can you identify the memorial location

high wood

I have purchased three photographs of some British troops that appear to have been taken in India. One in particular appears to show a visit to a memorial. Sadly, even with magnification it is not possible to read the inscription so I cannot tell what it commemorates. It is however quite distinctive and obviously significant enough for British troops to visit it so it is probably the site of a former battle or military action. I did wonder if it was from the Indian Mutiny but I cannot find anything specific so it could be from an earlier battle such as Multan or Chillianwallah.

If anyone can identify the location I would be very pleased.

post-6480-0-11894900-1347516075_thumb.jp

post-6480-0-28186900-1347516155_thumb.jp

post-6480-0-14470800-1347516239_thumb.jp

Seringapatam near Mysore.

It marks the breach in the fortifications of Tipu Sultan's fortress, where the British forced entry and captured the city during April/May 1799

I have a number of photographs of British troops visiting a near by Temple and Tipu's Summer Palace during WW1.

Sepoy

Relooking at your photos High Wood the soldier standing just in front of the memorial appears to have a circle on his pugree flash. This was worn by the 25th Cyclists Battalion, London Regiment.

Sepoy,

superb stuff, thank you for your comprehensive answer and the photographs. I visited Seringapatam back in the 1980's and may actually have taken a photograph of the memorial. I will have to dig out the photographs. I will post the other two postcards when I get home from work. There was a fourth postcard from the same source which I didn't think was related as it showed a group from the 2/6th (Cyclist) battalion, Royal Sussex Regiment in Norfolk in 1915. It was sent by a chap called Alewyne (I cannot remember the surname without the card in front of me) who came from Dulwich in South London. There may be a connection.

Simon

On checking my 25th London photo album, I have realised that I was incorrect on my identification of the pugree badge. Your photograph appears to show a light circle on a dark background, where as the 25th wore a dark circle on a light coloured background.

post-55476-0-88763000-1347560460_thumb.j

Seringapatam near Mysore.

It marks the breach in the fortifications of Tipu Sultan's fortress, where the British forced entry and captured the city during April/May 1799

Sepoy

Well spotted, and very interesting.

Regards,

LF

This is the third photograph of the set. They are numbered 2, 5, and 6 so there are at least three others in the sequence.

A close up showing some pugree badges which are still a blur.

post-6480-0-98472300-1347565988_thumb.jp

post-6480-0-77319300-1347566079_thumb.jp

Simon

Did you you confirm the surname of the sender? I had a quick look on Ancestry and the National Archives Medal rolls for an Alewyne but with no joy.

Unfortunately, my knowledge of pugree badges is slender and I cannot give a positive identification of the Regiment/Battalion shown.

Trevor (Sepoy)

A painting showing General Baird and his British Grenadiers storming Tipu Sultan's fortress at Seringapatam.

Perhaps the memorial lists the names of the British troops killed during the battle for the fortress ?

post-63666-0-04938200-1347571017_thumb.j

Trevor,

The Royal Sussex Regiment postcard that came with these was sent by Alewyne Davey. There may be no direct connection between them. Apart from the numerals there is nothing on the back of the Indian postcards.

I have purchased the remains of the album which contains mainly postcards of Indian scenes in Seringapatam, Bangalore, Bombay and Lahore which would indicate the the original owner travelled the length of India. Service in these places may help to identify the regiment. There is one more photograph in the original sequence taken at Seringapatam.

post-6480-0-58428800-1347808966_thumb.jp

post-6480-0-65990100-1347808986_thumb.jp

Thanks High Wood & Sepoy - this is good stuff and excellent use of the GWF by Members for Members.

Harry

That is the Raganatha Temple at Seringapatam - I am certain I have a very similar photo taken during WW1, as well as on my trip. I will have to dig out both albums and get scanning again. My London Regiment album covers Bangalore, Lahore and operations against the Mahsud..

I have attached an previously scanned photo showing men from the 25th Cyclists at Tipu's summer palace, which was taken over by a certain Colonel Arthur Wellesley, 33rd Foot after the siege. - It has some magnificent wall paintings.

post-55476-0-20662700-1347812261_thumb.j

A more recent photographof the mausoleum containing Tipu Sultan tomb.

Inside, next to Tipu is the tomb of Hyder Ali, who gave the Anglo-British forces a run for their money in the earlier Mysore Wars. On my visit in 1996, both tombs were covered by artificial Tiger skins and the scene of veneration. I was quite taken by a group of wailing women prostrating themselves in front of both tombs, bearing in mind that both men had been dead for around 200 years.

post-55476-0-21384600-1347813982_thumb.j

During my visit to Tipu Sultan's palace I asked the guide where the magnificent single span bridge was as I had seen a picture of it. He was surprised that I knew of its existence as "It had fallen down a long time ago". It was apparently built by the French to impress Tipu Sultan. I am sure that I still have the book somewhere.

I have been going through previous scans taken from my 25th Battalion, London Regiment album (which I cannot get to at the moment) and surprise - the same temple photo! This brings up the question as to whether the album photos were taken by the owner or if they were purchased/shared out.....

post-55476-0-35066100-1347897268_thumb.j

Very strange. I have seen packets of scenic photographs made for the tourist market but usually from European destinations. I have not seen them from India before but there is no reason why an enterprising photographer could not have taken some to sell on.