Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

POW Transferred to Holland for internment 1918

Angrybudgie

Fascinating, webbyg. Thank you very much.

The June 1918 newspaper item is about 30 British internees arrived at a ‘former’ hotel (which seems to mean that it was a hotel that had closed down) in Nijmegen. 70 more were expected later. The internees had come from Groningen or The Hague. The item mentions a Dutch officer as the commandant of the ‘Nijmegen internment camp’.

The text implies that this ex-hotel WAS the‘Nijmegen internment camp’; ie there was no other ‘Nijmegen internment camp’. This seems a bit odd to me. With thousands of internees to be housed in the country, it seems a bit inefficient to set up a camp with a capacity of just one hundred – a drop in the ocean.

But if you look at the Dutch National Archives website (http://www.gahetna.nl/en/collectie/archief/ead/index/eadid/2.05.42) there are many other internment camps in Holland. It happens to be my (bad) luck for my family history research that the files for Nijmegen are no longer available.

Looking at my notes again about the food shortages, there was dissatisfaction expressed by the internees themselves and their relatives (http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/Details?uri=C2617686. Arthur STANLEY, Chairman of the British Red Cross wrote to Arthur BALFOUR in May 1918 that he “…was getting a great deal of evidence to the effect that our Prisoners interned in Holland are really most starving…” (TNA, FO 383/443). It was reported to Parliament that “…it was decided that we must reduce the ration for bread and meat given to our prisoners to the amount which was available for the civil population of Holland…” (http://hansard.millbanksystems.com/lords/1918/jul/04/interned-ncos-and-men).

Aha, I didn't know about that. Thanks very much.

Too bad about Nijmegen!

As far as I can see, although I know that a certain person was transferred from Germany in March 1918 there is no way of finding out which internment camp he was sent to.

This food issue is very interesting. I've written things out as clearly as I can:

Under the 1917 agreement the British reimbursed the Dutch for the living costs of the interned prisoners. Thus the quantity and quality of the food the prisoners received depended on payments the British made to Dutch.

The families of some prisoners back in England protested that the food in the Dutch camps, though better than in the German camps, was inadequate. Therefore, the British government ought to pay the Dutch to improve it.

The British government said no. They argued that it would be wrong to finance a supply of food for the British prisoners which meant that they had better food than the Dutch civilian population as a whole.

I hope I have that right.

• 2 weeks later...

I appreciate this topic was started 2yrs ago so I know I may be a bit late trying to get help but here goes.

My grandad, Cpl Richard Cresswell 7855 of A Company, 2nd battalion Royal Munster Fusiliers, was injured and taken POW on August 27th 1914 at Etreux. From the Red Cross records I have discovered he spent time in Senne, Munster, Dulmen, Minden and Soltau. He was repatriated to Hull on SS Porto on 22nd Nov 1918. We do know he spent the last part of his incarceration in Holland but there is no record of when he went there or exactly where in Holland. Any help with this last piece of the jigsaw would be greatly appreciated.

Alison, you may want to check this thread about British POW's interred in Holland (especially post 5 & 6).

It has info about an officer of the Royal Munster Fusiliers who was interred in The Hague.

British soldiers in The Hague did not live in POW-camps, but in normal houses.

Roel

Thanks for the information Roel. I did message Elizabeth who started the thread and she was able to tell me he was on the Times list February 13th 1918. I know he kept in contact with people in Holland who had helped him and my mum even visited them some 30yrs later but sadly all records have been lost over the years. Regards Alison

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello Elizabeth

I am researching my great grandfather and came across your thread. If you have any information that could help I'd be very grateful.

Name was Sergeant Harry G Light

Regiment or Corps: Queen's (Royal West Surrey) 8th Battalion.

Regiment, Regimental Number: S/971

I know he was transferred to Holland in 1918 but wondered if you knew any more.

many thanks

Nikki

To add to the numbers, Holland was also the destination of thousands of Germans arriving from POW camps in England, so all of the issues of numbers, food, medical care, etc. were doubled. Most of the seriously wounded Germans ended up being returned through Switzerland before ending up at hospitals and hotels in Germany.

Ralph

• 2 weeks later...

Im looking for a Sgt F. W. Gent 7612 1st Battalion Royal King Rifle Corps POW 3rd November 1914 at ypres. He was a prisoner at soltau and was released via Holland in 1918 any information would help best Regards Peter.

• 1 year later...

Just found this thread. Wondering if my grandad is listed?

Griffith Williams

Royal Field Artillery 64318

XIV Brigade RFA 68th Battery

He was critically injured - but recovered.

Was taken POW on 9/11/14 in Germany

Then POW in Holland

Grateful for any info

Thanks

Shirley