Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Legacy of WWI

Ralph J. Whitehead

Here in the U.S. we are facing daylight savings tonight, the clocks go ahead 1 hour. This started in WWI and is still with us today. Does anyone know of any other legacies from the war that are still a part of daily life?

Ralph

Hi Ralph,

I do believe that UK pub closing times that are adhered to today (2300 hrs), came from the First War. I think it had something to do with civil labour, if the pubs closed at 2300 hrs then the workforce wouldn't be turning up for work the next day still half-cut. The UK (apart from Scotland) still adheres to these closing times today, although times are a'changin!!

Iain

In Canada in 1917, a "temporary" tax was enacted to help fund the war. Federal Income Tax is still with Canadians in 2003, and every year billions of dollars are deposited into government coffers, to pay for many important items, and to be frittered and wasted away on many completely useless projects. Income tax time (due April 30th) has become a huge effort, with thousands of accountants working to assist people to complete their tax forms. Computer software has been developed to enable those of us with simple returns to submit electronically.

The easiest tax form says "How much money did you make last year? Send it to us!!"

WWI Tax! We are stil paying taxes that originated from the Spanish-American War. Once a tax is in place it takes an act from God to rescind it.

Ralph

Picture ID card

In the occupied territory of Belgium the germans started with an obligation of having an ID card with picture on you. After the war the Belgian government kept this obligation.

Not exactly WW1, but apparently, Britons are still paying the French for the damage that we caused to the channel ports whilst attempting to liberate them during WW2!!!! :huh:

Dave

Huh! Income tax in the UK was supposed to pay for the Napoleonic Wars.. they must have been very expensive... ;)

It is a truth held to be self evident that once a government levies a tax, however temporary the intent, they soon come rather to like it... Airport departure tax, insurance premium tax in the UK, anyone?

(Although I was castigated by an Aussie colleague who says that his Federal government levied an 'East Timor Tax' in the late 90s, which they promised would last one year - and did! :o )

What is a bigger legacy from WWI than "REMEMBER". What other event can you imagine that would have people from all around the world still discussing some 80+ years later, while a huge battle even rages in the Middle East?

I got into all of this because my kids asked me about "THE WARS" and it never occurred to them that they would not be here if GREAT GRAMPA had been killed in WWI or GRAMPA had been killed in WWII. It has been an "eye opener" for them to see "Iraqi Freedom" on the tube every night, and if nothing else it has made them appreciate the past even more.

So what is the true legacy of WWI - it has to be the concept of REMEMBRANCE - taking the time out to stop for a few moments each year to think about those that did so much for so many that is appreciated by so few. We all have an obligation to keep this legacy alive and my hat is off to Chris for what he has done.

Thanks to all who have done so much,