Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medals of dead soldiers

jemm

Am I correct in thinking that the medals of a soldier killed in action would be passed on to the parents or spouse.

I believe there is a thread on this setting out a claim procedure for individuals and "O/ic recs requests authority for disposal". Haven't found it yet but will look when chores permit!!

jemm

This should answer your question:

AO 256, 1917

KRs para 1764

The medals of an officer or soldier dying in the service, whether issued before or after his death, will be disposed of according to to the regulations laid down by Royal Warrant, 11th May, 1917 as follows:

1. If there is a will the medals will be sent to the person, who in the opinion of the Secretary of State, is named in the will as being intended to receive them, or any other articles which would be in the opinion of the Secretary of State included them, as being a general or residuary legatee of the estate.2 In default of, and subject to, any such testamentary disposition, the medals will be sent to the next of kin on the following order of relationship:

2. In default of, and subject to, any such testamentary disposition, the medals will be sent to the next of kin on the following order of relationship:

Widow

Eldest surviving son

Eldest surviving daughter

Father

Mother

Eldest surviving brother

Eldest surviving sister

Eldest surviving half-brother

Eldest surviving half-sister

3) In the case of a universal residuary bequest to more than one person either in common or jointly, or where the medals cannot be disposed of as in 1) or 2) above, they may be sent to any relative or any other interested party, who, in the opinion of the Army Council, will preserve them with due care as a memorial to the deceased.

TR

Very interesting.

I have a BWM to a casualty whose medals according to his service file were sent to what I can only assume was a lady friend. I imagine he wrote a will naming her.

Tony