Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Map help Somme to Loos-en-Gohelle

unitedsound

Can anyone direct me to a good map which will cover the Somme through to Loos-en-Gohelle?

TIA

David

Dead easy really. The IGN Carte Departmentalle D62 Pas de Calais covers all of Pas de Calais and a lot of the Somme.

Depending where you are coming from on the Somme, go to Bapaume, follow the N17 to Arras, skirt Arras and take the Bethune road D937, then through Neuville St Vaast and past Souchez and at Sains-en-Gohelle take a right towards Bully-les-Mines on the D166E, then follow the D165 at Grenay and then you are in Loos-en-Gohelle without having to go through Lens.

Note: the road numbering in France has changed at bit so careful of the road numbers gave you.

Hope this is helpful

Martin

Hi Unitedsound,

what scale and level of detail do you require?

Modern, or Great War trench maps?

Trench maps: To get Loos and the entire Somme, plus everything in-between, you would need Trench map collections 36C (for Loos), 51B (Arras) & 57C / 57D for the British part of the Somme. 62C & D would be required to take in the entire Somme battlefield.

Modern mapping from the French IGN: 25k scale: you will need an extensive list of maps. 2408E, 2408O, 2407E, 2407O, 2406E, 2506O, 2505O & 2405E will more or less cover the 1916 front line area in great detail.

At their 100k scale you should manage with maps 101 & 103, with rather less detail shown.

Simon.

burlington has a good point about the departmentale series, but perhaps '59 - Nord' would suit even better? It includes almost every piece of ground fought over by the BEF, over as far as Mons.

Only really missing the Chemin des Dames / Aisne areas and the latter part of the Retreat from Mons areas.

In a 200k scale, so lacking in much detail.

Depends what you want really...

Simon.

Sorry guys, I think I have confused matters.

What I am looking for is a modern street map which will help me get around the various sites without getting lost.

I already have trench maps thanks.

David

David,

Before I acquired a European sat nav, I used a Collins road atlas for France, I managed quite well. It performed a bit better than my sat nav did once when it had a hissy fit whilst using the motorway around Lens !

Mick

• Admin

IGN Top 100 maps 101 and 103 are pretty good. I have most of the WF on these series which are great for general navigation.I get mine form mapsworldwide.com tel 01225707004

michelle

Thanks to everyone for suggestions.

Much appreciated

David