Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cap Badge help please

old-ted

Can anyone assist in the ID of this cap badge please? It looks like Artillery with a cross on front. I know he served in the DLI. Could it be pre-war territorial? Service papers are not available.

Thanks.

John

post-28333-0-96366500-1347357888_thumb.j

It certainly appears to be a basic Artillery cap badge--but I can see what you mean by a cross on the front. Is this a marked cross on the photograph? or on the badge itself in the photograph, if you see what I mean!!?

It certainly doesn't look official, if it is indeed in the photo. But someone out there may know better?

Robert

I think 'the cross' is an illusion caused by shadow and or reflection. Higher definition of the badge would help, doesn't the territorial version of the RA badge omit the 'ubique' motto and replace it with 'leaves' or some other design?

khaki

This is the best resolution of the photo I have I'm afraid. I don't think it's a cross drawn on the badge or a reflection.

He is Henry Drakesmith & he served with the 1/7th DLI. He is commemorated on the Menin Gate.

Thanks for your replies.

John

Hi,

Henry Drakesmith was from Ryhope, it is highly probable that he served with either The 3rd Northumbrian Brigade, RFA, 1st Durham Field Artillery Battery at Seaham or the 3rd Northumbrian (County of Durham) Brigade Ammunition Column, before the war as a Territorial. His 7/DLI number looks to me like a August 1914 enlistment.

regards

John

Just checked and there was a Robert Drakesmith from Ryhope served in the RE born 1882 possibly an older brother but he had no previous service.

regards

John

Thanks John.

Henry & Robert were brothers, Roberts service papers have survived. Another brother William also served with the DLI according to the medal index roles. William's service number was 91084. I now suspect the cross on the cap badge is perhaps marked on the photograph.

Thanks to all who have replied.

John