Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Uniform

Guest ={ivo}=

For some reason, as the picture was loading I suddenly thought NURSE. Now that could be totally unconnected to the picture, ;) but grey and red do ring a bell as part of the QARANC uniform.

Ali

The first thing I thought was - West Point cadet! Sure I saw Gordon McRae wearing one in that film.. you know! Phil B

Educated guess that it is a Civil War era overcoat for a Federal infantryman, who were issued sky blue coats, although the OR's generally wore a stand-up collar rather than a stand and fall type. The Federal officers were also given permission to wear this type coat in 1863 to make them less conspicious to the Confederates.

The cavalry and other mounted troops wore a similiar overcoat, but with a longer cape.

I would guess that this might not be a government issue, but rather a state one when looking at the collar. The scarlet lining is a not a government affectation.

Doubtless some civil war buff will know more.

DrB

:)

Ivo:- Where he was a West Point cadet who had to organize the academy musical. I forget the title. Comes up on Ch5 in the afternoon occasionally. One of those films! Phil B

Ivo:- that photo isn`t Civil War time is it? Looks like a cadet to me.

Guest Pete Wood
Ivo:- Where he was a West Point cadet who had to organize the academy musical. I forget the title. Comes up on Ch5 in the afternoon occasionally. One of those films! Phil B

West Point Story (1950).

Apparently they were copied by other cadet schools and maybe West Point had different linings. Our American cousins should be waking soon so we should get something more definite. Phil B

I think Dr. B has it. It looks like a reenactors copy of a Civil War era overcoat which is the pattern for the West Point overcoat. The red lining is a mystery to me. Are the buttons plain? If it was a West Point overcoat the buttons would have a shield and Greek helmet device.

Take care,

Neil

I do believe that Niel has it. Either a repro of an American Civil War overcoat or the same for a West Point Cadet. Notice the black stripe on the left sleeve?

DrB....

;)

This greatcoat style is Civil War style. Federal-Union troops wore a sky-blue colored coat. Army Academy cadets would wear the grey color. US Military Academy at West Point, Virginia Military Institute and other state / private military schools would wear the same style. The cape's facing color is one of the traditional colors representing military community:

"sky blue" for infantry / "yellow" for cavalry / "scarlet" for artillery.

Having just typed that, I recall that Norwich Military (New England area US) institute was fairly well known for providing armour officer cadets for the US Army. The scarlet facing would fit in that instance.

Doc D

Having just typed that, I recall that Norwich Military (New England area US) institute was fairly well known for providing armour officer cadets for the US Army. The scarlet facing would fit in that instance.

Doc D,

May St. George forgive you. Armor branch of service color is yellow, with traditions of the Cavalry.

Also Norwich's uniform I believe was not a traditional cadet grey. But not 100% sure.

I think that this coat has nothing at all to due with the American Civil War or reenactment community.

In my opinion it is a Cadet coat to any one of hundreds of schools or acedemy's that used to dot the US up until the 1960's.

Joe Sweeney

ex CO C CO 1/66 AR

West Point for sure!!! I have seen many re-enacters wearing these before thet can afford a proper one. I have 2 here at home that I lend out.

Dean Owen

Whitby Ontario

( 20+ years with the 1st Div ANV)