Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A little new info on boots

Joe Sweeney

All,

I've never found any kind of source that described in detail what Canadian made ankle boots looked like.

However, I have discovered the following from a presentation giving at the Honourable Cordwainers' Company mtg in 1994.

I had to do screen capture from a recording of the presentation and its a bit fuzzy.

The talk was about military boot manufacture from 1911 to 1915. These diagrams are from a catalogue published in 1915.

It shows Regulation Canadian boots from 1914 and new pattern introduced in 1915.

The 1915 types are fairly common in photos to include some taken in France and look very similar to WWII types-at least early ones.

canadawwi.jpg

1914ca.jpg

1915ca.jpg

I'm trying to track down the catalogue for more info.

Hope this is of interest.

Joe Sweeney

All,

Also in this talk were images of British Boots and those supplied in India.

britboots.jpg

Both British boots (left side) appear to be identical except for pull tab, so the clearest image came from the bottom British boot.

britishin.jpg

Both of these boots are pre-war British and probably Boot patterns (or could be earlier 1037 series):

B 7325/1911 10-Feb-11 screwed heel B 7326/1911 10-Feb-11 rand (welted) heel

Since, the presentation was about military boot construction circa 1911 to 1915 this fits. No B2s were in the catalogue as far as I know.

There is only a heel tip and no toe tips and no Hobnails but the soles are heavily steeled billed. Boots actually resemble the B5 except these are hand welted (excepting heel on first) and hand sewn, have no re-inforcing rivet at junction of Vamp. Also B5s were standard screwed at the Shank and these are not.

Joe Sweeney

What was real interest were the photo's of Boots iussued to the Indian Army (this means British Troops).

These were Boots supplied by the Army Boot Depot at Cawnpore. The Gov't India Army Boot (G.I.A.B) was located here and procured all boots through Cawnpore.

This photo I tried to focus on India side of the last posts slide:

indiac.jpg

The nomenclature of the boots has more to do with the American compilier of the catalogue in 1915 than what the Army in India called the boots.

India procuced:

Boots Ankle--composite and Ordinary

------------------Hobnailed

------------------Artillery (Cavalry)

Shoes--Highland

indiainf.jpg

These are the Boots Hobnailed--appparently Billing wasn't used in Indian Army Manufacture. Note reduction in number of lace holes.

On the original there is not any apparent counter stitching of the tongue to the sides to make a belows. Also use of Toe Tips

indiacav.jpg

These are called Cavarly boots but are probably Artillery/Cavalry--not no Hobnalis and use of Toe Tips.

Hope this is of interest.

Joe Sweeney

Mike,

Yes that is the Second World War version of the Canadian boot and it looks like the 1915 version. I don't know the color the 15 was supposed to be (black Brown etc).

Here is a group of 15th BN (48th) CEF in France. The center one is wearing the 1915 variety and it appears that the two on the outside are wearing the 1914 variety(?) although some British boots resembled these.

48thcefresized.jpg

48thcefboots.jpg

Here is a photo taken in Canada clearly showing the 15 variety.

copy2ofscan.jpg

This guy is also wearing one of the Candian Versions of Winter SD cap. Its made from a standard SD Cap with neck tie brought up over the top where it was buttoned using composite buttons.

Given the France photo I wonder how vcommon it was for Canadian troops to actually wear Canadian made boots in theatre. There are several orders issued during the war that these would only be for the most part worn in UK and that an exchange for the better British patterns made before going to France.

I guess this means I'll be going through lots of photos.

Joe Sweeney

Hey Joe,

Great info!

Tom Mattimore is making the WW2 Canadian boot. What I wonder is this- if he did the thing in rough out leather, would it be passable as the WW1 Canadian boot?

http://www.civilwarb...m/war_boots.asp (scorll down, about 3/4 of the page).

I don't need a pair but would be a good option for some guys doing Canadian,

Clint

Clint,

You'd have to run that by your authenticty svengali.

I've never even seen a piar of WWI Canadian boots in the flesh so I'm not sure what would be acceptable.

Joe