Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cap Badge Photo - King Edwards Horse Squadron ?

tn.drummond

Recent purchase.

At first I thought it might be the beaver of the King Edwards British American Squadron (I also purchased a KE2 photo at the same time, though I cannot be certain they are from the same collection) but it doesn't seem right. Somewhere I've seen a period cap badge with a palm tree in the background but can't for the life of me remember where.

Any and all suggestions gratefully received.

Tim

post-53823-0-78379100-1347127158_thumb.j

Hi Tim,

My first thought was Duke of Wellington's W.R.Regt? although I can see that it may not be--unless the photo has been 'touched up' which has added to the distorted image. I can't really think of anything else which matches the image shown.

Robert

Hi Tim,

My first thought was Duke of Wellington's W.R.Regt? although I can see that it may not be--unless the photo has been 'touched up' which has added to the distorted image. I can't really think of anything else which matches the image shown.

Robert

Thanks Robert. I'm certain it's not DoW and pretty sure it is colonial; just can't remember what !

Tim

7th Dragoons could be a possiblity, or as muted a DoW's with the bottom scrtoll missing {which IIRC was a Cadet Unit?]

post-2388-0-51263100-1347225122_thumb.jp

7th Dragoons could be a possiblity, or as muted a DoW's with the bottom scrtoll missing {which IIRC was a Cadet Unit?]

I can see where the suggestions are coming from but there is a definite and distinctively 'wavy' scroll at the base.

Thanks

Tim

Unashamedly shunting this up top for one last chance -

Bermuda anyone ?

Tim

Hi Tim,

Tennis for me!!

I still think that this is a Dukes badge with a little light smattering of 'touching up'. I actually have the feeling that I have seen this photo somewhere before, but can't quite remember where. It has too many characteristics of the Dukes badge--but if you like it could be 1st Bn Queen's Own Bermuda Volunteers--joking apart it could be something similar but I have absolutely no idea what!!

If I do remember where I saw it, then I will let you know. (Possibly the Craven Roll?)

Robert

Thanks Robert - I keep seeing a beaver under a palm tree; sure I'll be alright !

Tim

I would say it's Duke of Wellingtons with the left side of the scroll either broken or airbrushed out. Failing that, there was a New Zealand badge similar.

Rob

I am genuinely grateful for these suggestions but (and that is a sincere b word) the scroll must surely eliminate the DoW or Dragon options as it simply waves too much.

Tim

Hi Tim,

You could of course be correct, but I think(and I say this most sincerely Hughie) that you have to allow for the touch up artist in this case--although it does look pretty convincing, I must admit. I have seen many badges made to look like something completely different to the original, by a photographer or touch up artist, who made the cap badge look like what he thought that it should look like!!

Unless of course you have come up with the mythical, 'Beaver under a Palm Tree" badge, in it's real form, or are you still beavering away at this :whistle::w00t:

Regards, Robert

I would say it's Duke of Wellingtons with the left side of the scroll either broken or airbrushed out. Failing that, there was a New Zealand badge similar.

Rob

The 5th Wellington Infantry badge (New Zealand) is a similar design to the West riding one.The exception being the writing on the scroll.However it was introduced in 1922 ,and the NZ army had ceased wearing the Service dress forage cap,universally replaced by the lemonsqueezer style felt hat.So i would not imagine this soldier to be a NZer.

Cheers Iain

Thanks Iain; elimination road to identification and all that..

Cheers

Tim

Definitely The West Riding - I suspect a combination of being well polished (causing most but not all the badge outline to be lit up) and having been curved to fit the cap better have distorted the overall appearance. A little bit of editing a picture of a known West Riding cap badge to compensate for this gives a near perfect match:

http://postimage.org/image/6343zp9fl/

West_Riding_badge_comp.jpg

Well done Andrew, Old Owl, Iain, Rob and the meritorious rest.

Conclusive from Andrew me-thinks and an irritating bugbear laid to rest.

Thanks

Tim