Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gewehr 98 Muzzle Cover

shippingsteel

I picked up one of these flip-up muzzle covers today at a local Gun Show. In excellent condition it still has the remnants of a silver grey finish.

It got my immediate attention, especially so when I noticed the Imperial Crown/letter markings and the Gothic/fractur letter stamps on the top.

Does anyone know much about these and their wartime usage.? And is this style correct for the GW period or were other versions used also.?

Cheers, S>S

post-52604-0-10784600-1347110022_thumb.j

In 1921 Francis Bannerman Sons published a pamphlet (compiled by Coombes, Montclair and Capt Aney USR) called 'GEW 98 The German Mauser Rifle of 1898 Its use and development in the World War'

On p18 it shows this pattern of flip top cover as the standard. It also shows a slightly different version for the Kar 98 which clips on the front of the foresight rather than the rear.

The text also points out that no sighting is possible with the cover in place.

That is the sum total of my (second hand) knowledge of these. I have a similar one that came on a 08 Brazilian Mauser.

Chris

Thanks for the info Chris. I gathered it must have been GW but it never hurts to get a little more background on these things. :thumbsup:

And Joe, I believe they were sometimes unit marked across the front of the cap - that would be very interesting to see indeed.!

I did see another in an auction house photo of a 1915 dated Spandau Gew 98 in Robert Ball's "Mauser MROTW" (found on p.174)

So were these general issue during the war or not so common.? And are they found regularly or do they tend to be a little scarcer.?

Cheers, S>S

Hi, S>S. Your Gew 98 muzzle cover is certainly GW period. One was originally issued with each rifle but they are very difficult to find nowdays. Probably because most rifles were destroyed in the post-War disarmament of Germany and those which survived in the UK were mostly captured weapons that would have been picked up on the battlefield and naturally would not have had the device fitted. USA is probably better. There was also one which clipped onto the foresight of the Kar 98a. There were also similar devices used for the WW2 rifles but these are easily identifiable as such. I envy you your find, my own were sold off with the collection.- SW

• spof unlocked this topic