Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Planned attack from India

drailton

Sometime during the war there was a plan to attack from India. Troops were sent out from Britian around the Cape but I dont think it was followed through.

Can anyone tell me anything about this?

The only front that I can think of is Mesopotamia - resourced from India.

Harry

I have my grandfather's diary of the voyage. Many of the troops did not make it falling victim to tropical diseases on the way. My grandfather got malaria. Unfortunately he died before I was old enough to ask him about it.

If you can give us some details of your grandfather we might be able to help.

As Harry says, the campaign in mesopotamia was resourced from India, but other Indian formations and units were sent to other theatres. "attack from India" is a bit vague, to be fair.

Sometime during the war there was a plan to attack from India. Troops were sent out from Britian around the Cape but I dont think it was followed through.

Can anyone tell me anything about this?

There were many plans to attack India, obviously driven by the Germans - through Afghanistan, British Baluchistan and Burma to name but three - but I am not aware of a reciprocal offensive aside from defensive border excursions. Britain was very conscious of Persian and Afghan independence (albeit through a rather shameless concordant with Russia) which, whilst not limiting localised confrontations with Turco-Germano and even Swedish nationals, did exclude major interventions.

Will be very gladly proved wrong as this is an area of ever increasing interest to me.

Regards

Tim

So is there a connection to the Cheshire Regiment with your enquiry? If you provide us with what you know you may well find we can assist.

All I can tell you about my grandfather is that he was 596781 L/Cpl James Arthur Railton of 4th ® Battalion Cheshire Regiment, born Liverpool 11 July 1886, enlisted 27.11.1915, discharged 01.04.1919. He told us that the Battalion/Regiment were shipped to India via the Cape for a planned attack from there which never happened. He also said that many of the troops on board fell victim to tropical diseases. He caught malaria. Other than that I know no more.

1/4th Cheshires served at Gallipoli and Egypt but I think that's as far east as any Cheshire Btn got.

Intrigued by this - any more details more than welcome.

Well, to be fair, the 2/4th got to Bedford, which is reasonably east.

Seriously, though, it needs someone to look at medal cards and see what L Cpl Railton's record was.