Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

22nd August 1914

2lewis's

Do you know how many of that number were still with the Bn on the 11.11.18?

I remember seeing probably in the War the Infantry Knew, a picture of about a dozen men who had been with their Bn throughout the war.

Ali

Ali,

Not quite got to that fact yet. Recently read "Retreat from Mons" and seem to remember of the Division's that went to the Front from August to September 1914 at xmas 1914 of the original troops sent on average 1 officer and 41 men from each regiment remained at the front. So by 1918 I expect very few!

Mark

Its shattering really, I'm now at home (friday afternoon as it is) and have looked up my earlier reference to IWTIK, it has a picture of the men who landed with the bn when it embarked and served all the way through to them returning- 10! Most of these are officers and most likely from the transport section etc. The odds of making it through in a rifle company must be longer than the national lottery!

Ali

II Corps advance up to the line of the Canal and around Mons, covering a front of 21 miles.

S.-D. writes: "Our news of the enemy was very vague, but the general opinion was that considerable German forces were moving towards us and that contact on the morrow was almost a certainty."

Anthony