Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

AIF returned soldier badge

jacksdad

post-60057-0-00894500-1347015973_thumb.jpost-60057-0-78520200-1347015959_thumb.j

I am guessing that this is a common badge.

the number on the back - is that the owners ID?

If so how would i trace who it was?

Is anyone able to advise

Cheers Roger

Roger,

It looks like the badge that was issued to returning soldiers of the AIF - I am no expert when it comes to genuineness or not but the number on the back

is just a serial number and not a service number (most of the service numbers were in the 1 2 3 or 4 numbers range). I am not aware whether there were any

lists made of whom the badge was issued to.

Excellent thanks David

thats good info

Cheers Roger

Roger,

That would be a genuine RASB. They were a controlled issue and when my grandfather lost his, he was advised on how to get a replacement, which he never did. This is one I picked up from the back garden 40 years ago. It was usual in those days for the entire uniform etc to be burned when the soldier died and this was just outside the incinerator in Adelaide.

Cheers Bill (currently staying in Gheluvet) post-66620-0-05222200-1347086298_thumb.j

Hi

I do not know if I am allowed to do this & I must state that I have nothing to gain from this but these can usually be researched using the number on the reverse. The following is a researcher in Aussie who I have used for this very thing. I had a 17 out of 21 success with my badges.

Neil Smith is the chaps name & this is his site

http://mostlyunsung.alphalink.com.au/muhomepage99.htm

Peter

I am led to believe that the records for these types of badges are held in the state library in Melbourne.

Bright Blessings

Sandra