Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Unidentified cap badge - Please can you help?

magsmcewan

Hello,

I'm struggling to identify this cap badge from a family photo of my Great Great Uncle Herbert Stephenson believed to have served at Gallipoli.

Would anyone be able to tell me anything about what it might be?

I've so little information about him that I'm struggling to uniquely identify him from other records available online, it seems his name was not uncommon.

Any information at all very gratefully received.

Kind Regards

Margaret

7943746942_007df10bc9.jpg

Hi Margaret

I would suggest naval and from an Islamic country - almost certainly WW2 or post. It's certainly not Turkish WW1 I'm afraid

Can't help more but hopefully someone who can will trot along.

Suddery

Given the salute we can see part of, I might assume he's not Commonwealth (or ex-Commonwealth).

Had a trawl around Islamic states and most (not all) seem to employ a fouled anchor, often with an eagle, for the Navy. Could be an air force and could be Civil.

I assume from the net-curtains and tone of b/w that photo is 1950's plus - with all due respects is your Uncle's just larking about in a 'fancy dress' manner ?

It looks like the cap and badge Charlie Chaplin wore in the Dictator.

Rob

The eagle with the crescent certainly look Islamic/Arabic. Is there more of the picture to see?

Hello,

I've so little information about him that I'm struggling to uniquely identify him from other records available online, it seems his name was not uncommon.

I've had a look at the military records available on Ancestry and there are rather too many possibles to make an educated guess. Can you furnish any more relevent information or period photographs in uniform ?

Suddery

Good Morning,

Thank you all for your attention, thoughts and effort. Suddery - particular thanks to you for taking the trouble to look at the old records, there are many possibilities as you say.

Here we believe is an earlier photograph in uniform, but it has no apparent distinguishing marks I could pick out excepting the Royal Artillery buttons and collar badge. Perhaps you will see more in it than my uneducated eyes.

7948676266_d99f510f04.jpg

Here is the full photograph from where the cap badge came. Looking again, it is clearly much later; I should have thought about the curtains. I'm pretty confident it is him though as he signed it ('Lil' is his sister and my Great Grandmother, 'Mick' strangely was his nickname with the family, probably as his brother Hubert was 'Bert').

7948677458_c2974fff1d.jpg

It is believed that he was shipwrecked in the Dardanelles during in conflict in WW1. After WW1 he went to America and did not serve in WW2. At one point during the blitz there was a suggestion that he took my mother in; but the fare was too much and also she was only 14 so she was not allowed to go over. She remembers it quite clearly though.

I do apologise if the photograph is a red herring, there was absolutely no intention. I'd thought the cap badge looked very distinctive and might jog a thought as I had not been able to find it anywhere. It is all the more confusing as it's so much later, perhaps it is indeed as you suggest some kind of larking about - though his expression is quite serious and the cap must have come from somewhere.

Thanks again.

Kind Regards

Margaret

whats the design on the buttons of the second photo?