Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

King's Royal Rifles 1914

Royal American

Hello All,

I would appreciate help on two details regarding the KRR in 1914.

First are the brass shoulder tabs... How do I tell which are accurate for 1914? I see several variants and never know for sure. While searching found a nice source but many variants...

http://www.britishmilitarybadges.co.uk/shoulder-titles-infantry-c-3_18.html?sort=3a&page=1

Secondly, probably opening a can 'o worms here but my second question is regarding boots. In sevice dress were they truly blackened for rifle regiments in general? I know there are many cases of "...they always" or "...they never..." among collectors and reenactors. So, the common thought is "they always" blacked their boots.

Anyway I ask because I've got the 1907 and 1911 standing orders for the Rifle Brigade- not the same, yes. But a rifles regiment. They both specify that officers boots in SD are to be brown. Very clearly states this. Can I assume that the men as well would be in brown, or natural colored, boots??

I would appreciate any insight!

Clint

Clint,

This wont answer all variations, but in general Ors were issued two pairs of boots---Ankle boots were to be only blackened for full dress parades and for walking out. Army Order 10/1902 (intro of SD) specifically states that one of the issue pairs remains brown.

I think it likely that KRR went to war in 1914 with Brown Boots.

Joe Sweeney

Hi, the colour of boots I believe depends upon theatre of service home service being brown or active service black. I have found items which relate to them all being supplied brown but then coloured over time with blacking. Once done this way the boots do take on a very goos patina.

Hey Joe,

I was aware of the black for FD and brown for SD and that's a good point. What worried me was the idea that rifles blackened boots, despite the common regs. You know, traditions die hard in the British Army. Anyway though I first can't believe that the officers would wear brown boots in SD, the ORs wearing black. Secondly, well, blackening boots takes time- keeping them blackened even more, which defeats the purpose of SD which was to be the first truly practical campaigning uniform!

I'm going by what little contemporary info I have. If I, or anyone, can find something contemporary and definative on the color of ORs boots... and not a modern color plate from Osprey... I would love to see it!

Anyway, yes, I also think the boots in SD were brown/greased for the Rifles regiments and not blacked.

Clint

The color of ankle boots in the Great War can be complicated.

A KRR man, or any Reg't for that matter, might have gone to war wearing the boots that were blackened for FD, the other pair left in the Kit Bag, but not maintain that color.

Prior to war the RACD experimented with Black boots and also Black became an alternate acceplable color that could be used in Manufacture.

In the early 1920's all remaining Black or Blackened boots were ordered to be pulled from service, only for all black to be adopted across all services in 1927.

Joe Sweeney

Attached are the three pages from the 1911 Standing Orders of the RIfle Brigade. Again, my interest is 1914 (and actually from the introduction of SD). The 1905 Standing Orders also specifiy brown for officers as well

First, the page clearly specifying putties and brown boots (i,e ankle boots) in marching and drill order.

page35l.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

This page specifics the hot weather uniforms, and states the marching order is the same as Home Service, the only exception being khaki drill jacketand pants. And white drill jacket for review!

page36p.jpg

Lastly, the page requiring that OR "...uniform clothing must be strictly in accordance with regulation sealed patterns" which partially suggests brown. The other suggestion is the 129 where it specifies the careful fitting of boots, but no mention of ORs blackening or otherwise differing from officers in SD.

page38p.jpg

Can find no mention of ORs blackening boots. In my mind, for 1914 ORs boots were brown, at least in the Rifle Brigade.

Clint

The London Rifle Brigade instructed their men to blacken one pair of boots with the cut end of a raw potatoe, so probably the parade pair. Reservist may well have had new boots waiting for them, which they may not have had time to blacken.

Hello All,

I would appreciate help on two details regarding the KRR in 1914.

First are the brass shoulder tabs... How do I tell which are accurate for 1914? I see several variants and never know for sure. While searching found a nice source but many variants...

http://www.britishmi...?sort=3a&page=1

Secondly, probably opening a can 'o worms here but my second question is regarding boots. In sevice dress were they truly blackened for rifle regiments in general? I know there are many cases of "...they always" or "...they never..." among collectors and reenactors. So, the common thought is "they always" blacked their boots.

Anyway I ask because I've got the 1907 and 1911 standing orders for the Rifle Brigade- not the same, yes. But a rifles regiment. They both specify that officers boots in SD are to be brown. Very clearly states this. Can I assume that the men as well would be in brown, or natural colored, boots??

I would appreciate any insight!

Clint

Westlake listed and illustrated no fewer than six KRR titles ....... I doubt if anyone out there can pick the bones out and say that such and such a badge is incorrect for period.

But blackened brass, definitely.

My advice: have a look at a good period photo showing soldier wearing title, treasure the photo, and get a title to match [well, two actually!]