Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Unidentified cap badge

redbarchetta

Can anyone ID this badge - was on a piece of trench art at Lille Braderie at the weekend. Didn't recognise it then, and still cannot figure it out now, with access to the interweb! Guards-esque surround, with a rope border encircling a simple GvR in the centre, with a king's crown on the top. Didn't buy the item as I couldn't place the badge, but the dealer is a friend, so if it is a genuine cap badge then I'll get him to put it aside until I see him at Amiens.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

James

post-2897-0-23896400-1346843768_thumb.jp

It's a variation on the Royal Canadian Regiment, whose badge usually had Victoria's crown and cypher (VRI) in the middle - this was a variation which has been catalogued, but the Victorian version was also still worn in WW1.

http://regimentalrogue.com/rcrbadges/rcrimages/babin_badge.jpg

Here is my page on the George V badge worn by The Royal Canadian Regiment from which the above image was linked: Badges of The Royal Canadian Regiment; 1911 - 1919

This article may also be of interest: Badges of The Royal Canadian Regiment; Crowns, Cyphers and Controversy

Here is my page on the George V badge worn by The Royal Canadian Regiment from which the above image was linked: Badges of The Royal Canadian Regiment; 1911 - 1919

This article may also be of interest: Badges of The Royal Canadian Regiment; Crowns, Cyphers and Controversy

Cox's Military Badges of the British Empire 1914-18 shows two versions of this badge, the latter similar to the original photograph. Would there be any reason for the two versions of which you are aware?

77fdc8cfc38e.jpgace217ede131.jpg

Thanks, Michael, I read your articles, very good indeed (as one would expect in your position!).

James

Cox's Military Badges of the British Empire 1914-18 shows two versions of this badge, the latter similar to the original photograph. Would there be any reason for the two versions of which you are aware?

I have a number of different variants of the GvR badge for The RCR. The most likely reasons for the variations are different manufacturers, replacement dies as lots were produced, changes in materials, changes in production methods (for voided vs non-voided crowns. The different stars can also be found on the earlier 1894 badges, although I have yet to find the straight-edged star in the Edward VII pattern

Here is a third type of star backing for a GvR badge: http://regimentalrogue.com/rcrbadges/rcrimages/1911_001.jpg

Thanks, Michael, I read your articles, very good indeed (as one would expect in your position!).

James

James, thank you very much for your kind assessment.

Michael