Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Memorial Plaque Copy

303man

And finaly the whole front to Pte J Barry 1st AIF Died August 7th 1916 My first thoughts when I purchased this were Somme Casualty but wrong died in Australia.

post-23-1092951305.jpg

Any more info on this man?

CWGC List the only J Barry on that date as Australian Naval Bridging Train I will eventualy get around to researching him further.

RT Diameter is 124mm max

Guest Pete Wood
RT Diameter is 124mm max

That is extremely worrying, as the standard diameter is 120mm. Bronze shrinks after casting, so whoever did this has scaled up an original (or had access to a master). So although the risers are crude, this was obviously done by someone with casting know-how.

If I hadn't seen a photo of the back of the plaque, the only thing I noticed (or so it appears, and digitial images can deceive), and which raised a doubt in my mind, is that the face of the plaque seems fairly smooth....??

Are there any other signs, apart from the lumps on the back (which could be ground down if a serious attempt at forgery was being attempted), such as thickness etc....??

However, it does seem to have some 'age' to it. Do you think it was made quite a long time ago....??

It was the 324th plaque I purchased so that puts it back a good few years pre 1986 after 86 I kept a record of numbers purchased each year.

If you ground the edges square like an original you would get a 122mm dia plaque It is just over 3mm thick so bang on there.

RT you will need to see it in the flesh so to speak.