Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Zonnebeke Road? Battle of Menin Rd photo.

grantmal

Curved objects I think are Elephant Iron shelters and to the right ammo boxes covered by a canvas sheet.

As regards men being relaxed I think that there was an air nonchalance about shell fire, there is some Canadian film showing gunners standing about while shells are landing quite close.

Having wrote the above if it was me and the first time then I would be terified but I suppose they just got used to it, all in the working day........

Please note the distances. The railway where the mystery object is supposed to be is not 420 m from the photographer but much nearer.

Perhaps the minor road at 190 m ? The men seem closer than 190 m. In the far distance to the right on the panoramapost-18171-0-12162100-1349032556_thumb.j there could be a small embankment with some stunted trees on it, the railway ?

• 1 month later...

I have at long last found some photos from 1983. I don't know if it helps the quest but it was taken looking towards Zonnebeke on the Ypres/Roulers railway line at the approximate position of the right hand RLY on the Google image.

post-18171-0-15344100-1351700983_thumb.j

If it is a railway locomotive, could it be the type shown in this photo Click (from the Australian War Memorial collection, see link); Head-on these would have had a similar profile to that shown in the image, and, according to the information given, are likely to have been operating in the right area. I also wondered if the two small groups of men along the 'track' (ie ahead of the mystery object), if it is such, might be involved in track laying or repair; those nearest to it look as if they might be collectively involved in carrying something long & heavy like a length of track. Any detailed knowledge of the history of this line known?

NigelS

Nigel

I can now see that 'mystery object' is in fact very much like the type in the AWM collection. However I still cannot reconcile the distances that I have outlined previously.........Bob

Bob,

I wish you hadn't woken this thread up again! I've had another couple of sleepless nights puzzling over it and there are still several things that concern me.

I agree with you regarding the distances to the main railway. If we are in the right area, then the main linear feature would be the road. This does not preclude the mystery object being a locomotive, as we are looking at Light Railways as opposed to main line wide gauge. What I cannot reconcile is a British loco being yards from the front line on the opening day of a major offensive.

As an aside, the Light Railway Companies were highly commended for their casualty evacuation work on the 20th Sept.

I am still having problems with orientating the photograph. Being a composite of two photos, it is hard to allow for the flattening effect of what is a wide angle of vision. The lack of shadows also makes it impossible to estimate a bearing

My main concern is with the recorded date of the photograph in regard to the location. It just looks too quiet. There are some topographical anomalies niggling me as well, but they will have to wait for now.

Phil

• 9 years later...

Throwing in the Canadian 2 cents. Map from the 1th Field Company Canadian Engineers (4th Canadian Division) 2 Nov 1917. "

Lieutenant CS Mandley and eight sappers with carrying party of five officers in 240 infantry carried in 647 bathmats and 70 Road bearers. Placed same in small piles along H track at Apple villa. Lieutenant RA Hay and 18 sappers with six officers and 300 OR infantry carrying party carried in 376 bathmats and 25 Road bearers. Made 500 yards double bathmats on K track from D16 a50. 40 to D16b50. 45 also made 200 yards double bathmats on K track from D15B20. 05 to D15B60. 40. D3C50. 45. Carrying from C18D2. 3 to D8D5. 4 and from DAD5. 4 to D3C50. 45 and from C18D20. 3 to D 3C50. 45. Preparing track #6 from 400 yards South of Capricorn trench to 300 yards South of Kansas House. Carrying from Spree Dump to aeroplane dump. Preparing loads at Spree Dump.

Eight sappers erected large sign “sketch map of H&K track“ at Mill cottage.”

ZonnebekeRoad_WD_2Nov1917_11thFdCoCE_1.png

ZonnebekeRoad_WD_2Nov1917_11thFdCoCE_2.png