Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

21st Division insignia?

mebu

Transferred this from Leicesters query...

Think this is 21 Div insigna, but at wrong time and place. Salient, late Feb 1918. 21 Div were on the Somme at this time.

Can anyone identify the formation on the helmet marking? It's a working party, trying to identify the unit

many Thanks, Peter

post-2649-0-91638600-1346575650_thumb.jp

The 21st divisions insignia is three 7s end to end,making 21. Im not sure the badge in the main picture is the 21sts,the long vertical leg of the seven should be slightly curved,in the opening post they look too straight.

Anthony

An outside possibility is the 'Y' of 15 corps which at a push and a shove was considered to be representative of three Roman 'v' numerals (corps had been named 'y' corps before being designated 15 so it was all a bit contrived).

They were on the Salient in 1918 though not sure when.

I've never seen a photographic representation of the 'Y' and it would have to be a little askew to fit your photo - corps insignia on Helmets is also unusual - any chance of a fuller image ?

As I said...outside.

Suddery

Thanks for the replies.

I didn't think that the 3 x7s of 21 div looked right, then found they were in different place, hence the query.

XV corps puts them in right place and time, will try and find out if any Corps troops are possibles.

Below is photo, all appear to have same insignia on helmet.

Thanks, Peter

post-2649-0-51174000-1346763545_thumb.jp

This is a very high quality (rare) image, looks like they're mixing concrete - not pioneers by any chance ?

Hello Suddery

yes they are mixing concrete, making a shelter off to the left of photo. Looks like rubble mix rather than quality mix.

Possibly pioneers.... a reasonable possibility - but also artillery, signals and others who also made their own accommodations.

Best bet so far is some kind of XV Corps troops....in Feb 18 this would be a couple of miles behind front and therefore in Corps line rather than divisional..thanks for the lead.

Peter

• 4 weeks later...

Dont think it is 21st div insignia. The lines are too striaght however I have no other helmet insignia to go by to be absolutely sure. Also the angle of the 7's is off. I guess another units lower brigade insignia or something like.

rgds