Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medal card abbreviations

dandy dinmont

Greetings to all on this splendid forum.

Would anyone know what the abbreviation 'TP' (occuring twice) on my great uncles medal card signifies? I have trawled the usual medal card interpretation pages and have found out a lot but this one eludes me! On the enclosed pdf Hugo Evans Armitage is on the 2nd row down.

Also the EF? at the bottom of the card remains a mystery to me if anyone has a clue? I know EM means mentioned in despatches.

Any advice much appreciated.

Robert

HEA medal card.pdf

Hi Robert

The 3 references at the bottom refer to some now lost code or reference which the clerks used. So no one has any idea now.

Here is your FF - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/53rd_Sikhs_(Frontier_Force)

TP refers to the medal roll - see here -

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/searchresults.asp?SearchInit=0&txtsearchterm=tp%2F6&txtfirstdate=1914&txtlastdate=1922&txtrestriction=&hdnsorttype=Reference&image1.x=22&image1.y=12

regards

Robert

I maybe reading this wrong, but doesn't the reference in remarks not suggest all medals were re-issued on R of F (Regiment of Fusiliers) Roll "TP/9/102b page 15"?

It might be worth looking at the Medal Card on Ancestry http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?MS_AdvCB=1&db=MedalRolls&rank=1&new=1&so=3&MSAV=2&msT=1&gss=ms_db&gsfn=hugo+evans&gsfn_x=XO&gsln=armitage&gsln_x=XO&dbOnly=_F0003FD8%7C_F0003FD8_x&dbOnly=_F0003FD9%7C_F0003FD9_x&uidh=000 as it shows the back of the card which may have other annotations.

Sam

Hi,

I think it is Rank & File Roll 'TP/9/102b page 15'

Looking at the Medal Card I think the sequence is

Medals Applied for 18 August 1921

EF/9/3577 (Entitlement Form?) returned 3 Nov 1921

Medals issued 28 Dec 1921 Issue Voucher no. X/12073

Here are some ideas I have on these codes, just some ideas after looking through a few Medal Cards and trying to spot some themes

NW: Commission issue of medals especially dealing with men commissioned from the ranks. Dates for re issue of medals for an Officer.

EF: Edit information on roll or engraving on medal. Or the EF bit refers to him having returned this form. Officer having requested his medals and was then sent a form to fill in.

WS: Related to issue of 1914 Star Officers and Other Ranks

Regards Mark

The TP9 reference is to the 9th Londons British War and Victory Medal Rolls (at Kew in Wo 339/1921)

Similarly the TP6 reference is for the 1/9th Londons 1914 Star Roll. (WO 339/2482)

EF9 refers to the form by which officers applied for their medal and which I have taken as referring to Enquiry Form, whether right or wrong?

The back of the card may have more clerical speak on it, but should also include the address to which the medals were to be sent.

By the way, his service record will still be with the MoD. I checked WO 338 and his entry has the dreaded P number (P/11545) entered on it.

Phil

Robert, Mark, Sam & Phil thank you all very much, most helpful.

And Sam thats very interesting about the possible reference to Regiment of Fusiliers, my uncle had a younger brother in the Royal Fusiliers who died in the GW, could his brother have claimed his medals?

Robert

Thanks Mark but where did you get the dates 18 August 1921 & 3 Nov 1921? They sound right but they are not on the card.

Also I assume that in the lower right hand box in large hand writing 'Comm 11 Res Bn Yorks Rgt 15-8-15' refers to when Hugo was commisioned and his regiment, am I right in that?

Robert

Hi,

They are on the back of the Medal Card which is available to view on Ancestry.

I think you are correct about the Commisioned information.

Regards Mark