Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Trying to trace more details on a MC award

Guest twill

Can anyone point me in the right direction, my Grandfather was awarded the MC, around the 18/10/1917.

I have his full set of medals, the telegram instructing him to go to Buckingham Palace, his discharge certificates, and some other bits & pieces. But no matter where or how I try I cannot find any other info., I would like to know the battle etc.

The medals have been locked away for years, I have no one to pass them onto so, eventually I would like to see someone who is interested in collecting medals to take care of them, I believe the other medals are;

MC......MM......Mon Star......War Medal......Vicory Medal......Territorial Efficiency Medal........

I also have a set of minitures.

Grandfather was in the MGC, his number was 18735, William Roberts

Cheers

twill, your Grandfather was in the East Lancashire regiment 18735, cant find any other details but will keep looking. Regards Sean

MC MM is not a common combination. His Medal Index Card confirms East Lancashire Regiment service, and there is an MM card for him as Machine Gun Corps in the rank of Serjeant; the Military Cross was as a Company Serjeant Major in the MGC, in the London Gazette of 18 October 1917 (Page 10712) The MC citation was published on 5 March 1918 (Page 2942)

18735 C.S.M. William Roberts, M.G.Corps.

For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty when in charge of. the ammunition supply during an advance. He succeeded in getting 32,000 rounds forward under an intense barrage. During the following days, though the enemy shell fire was still heavy. he did splendid work in getting up supplies. He displayed the greatest coolness and determination.

Possibly a Third Ypres award.

A combination like this could reach around £2500 at auction.

A lovely group - and worthy of more research before making any rash decisions ! The fact his MC is as an NCO is particularly nice. You should try and seek out his Service Records if not online through Ancestry or at TNA then via the MOD as a relative.

Are you sure the number is correct? I can't find it at all in the LG. Was there a middle name or initial? I agree a nice group if in fact an MC MM, even just as an MC. I'm glad you are considering its future and doing your homework. I'd love to add it to my colleciton, but its a bit out of my price league I'm afraid. Any chance of some pictures or copies of your paperwork??

Also, if your dates are correct for the award - typically these annoucements are for actions about three onths prior - or is the investiture date in October of 1917? It's a bit early for third Ypres/Passchedaele likely for something in the time periord of June -July 1917. The LG date is March - so very likely Third Ypres, but other things were happening on other fronts too. Wonderful group to a gallant soldier.

Hats off to Staffsyeoman for finding that in the LG - I was having a hell of a time. Here are the actual pages, very odd I could not get a search hit on the reg. number - but the LG search engine is more art than science....

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/30340/supplements/10712

The '2942 page number is no good....