Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

R.E. at Gosport

davidmoore

Can anyone confirm that the uniform in this photograph is of the Royal Engineers?

I was told they were firemen but I don't think so.

The equipment is rather strange with its row of taps.

The photograph was taken by Lawrence of Gosport, undated, and it is therefore likely that it was taken locally.

The R.E. had a large section at Fort Monckton, at Stokes Bay, including the School of Electrical Lighting.

post-33263-0-91767400-1346342069_thumb.j

post-33263-0-75001100-1346342091_thumb.j

I'll see if any of my local contacts can ID the buildings as still standing anywhere nearby.

Cap badge has every appearance of being RE save the collar badges detailed.

Though not clear I was wondering if collars are Corps / Royal Corps of Signals dating around 1920 +, perhaps taken in the transitional period from Royal Engineers Signal Service. Certainly looks post WW1.

No matter what, seems pretty unorthodox.

No idea what the machinery is, looks like an espresso mounted atop a Rayburn.

Good clean image, thanks for posting.

Suddery

They are sitting on a gas oil engine of a type used in most of the Forts around the Solent for searchlight generators I think. I seem to remember a scrap one in one of the Island forts.

G

The RE had a number of detatchments at Fort Monkton both prior to and after the war, many were signals and also as mentioned searchlight units. There are similar photographs showing these that I have seen this one appears to be a static engine the soldier sitting on the right appears to be on top of the fly wheel cover. I hope this may be of some assistance

The collar badges are the standard flaming grenade over the scroll containing "Ubique" as used by the RE's. Given they are being worn and various other small pictures would date this post-WW1.

Thanks to everyone for such a quick response.

Your answers tend to confirm what I had suspected. My research shows that In 1924 the Royal Engineer occupying unit at Fort Monckton was the 22nd Fortress Company. At Monckton there were engine rooms for training purposes with Hornsby-Ackroyd and Tangyre engines for supplying electricity to searchlights sited on the ground floor of the main barrack block. Most of the training on searchlights took place at the nearby School of Electric Lighting (Searchlights) at Stokes Bay. I therefore think that the photo is either Fort Monckton or the School of Electric Lighting. Thanks @T8HANTS and @Dave1418 for idenfiying the engine as being one connected with searchlights. Thanks @Andrew and @Suddery for confirming the Uniform as R.E. There are very few photos existing that I have come across of the SEL or Monckton that can identify the buildings. I have put a couple of the SEL on my Fort Gilkicker website and this photo will follow shortly with an acknowledgement to you guys from to the GWF.