Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd Lt Cecil Keith Foyle Wright, 10th Royal Fusiliers - 21/8/18

David Seymour

Does anyone have access to the war diary of 10th Royal Fusiliers for August 1918? I am interested in the circumstances of the death, on 21/8/18, of 2nd Lt Cecil Keith Foyle Wright, who, according to SDGW, was killed in action that day.

Grateful, as always, for any help you can give.

With best wishes and many thanks,

David

[edit]Opps, sorry, wrong regiment - removed post to make thread more readable [/edit]

Thank you for your detailed reply. Very kind of you to get back to me on this.

However, perhaps I should have made it clearer that it was the 10th Royal Fusiliers in the City of London Regiment that I meant.

Cecil Wright's medal card and SDGW refer to him being killed in action on 21/8/18, and SDGW refers to 10th Battalion, Royal Fusiliers (City of London Regt.).

With best wishes,

David

• 3 months later...

Sorry for late reply, they were involved in an attack on Ablainzevelle beginning at 4:55 on the morning of 21st August 1918. There is a lengthy report of proceedings appended to the War Diary. If you'd like the details send me a PM and I'll email a copy to you. There is no mention of 2ndLt Wright by name although the SDGW entry of Son of Thomas and Anie Georgiana Wright, of The Poplars, Crane Bridge Rd., Salisbury led me to the 1911 census where he is listed as a professional musician. Is this the right chap.

David

• 4 months later...

Thank you for your reply, and many apologies for not replying earlier. I have only just returned to this research. Yes, this is the right chap. A PM is on its way. Many thanks, David.

• 4 weeks later...

I have the British War Medal to Cecil Keith Foyle Wright and have done some research into him including visiting Salisbury. I have photos of his name on the war memorial there and in the register of Salisbury war dead. I have other information as well.

David, what is the nature of your interest?

Thank you for getting in touch. I am investigating the pupils from the school which Cecil attended in Salisbury. When you were in St Thomas' church did you notice that his name is also on the memorial there? I have a photo which I could send if you were to PM me. David

• 7 months later...

Hello David

thanks your response. Yes we went in St Thomas church and saw his name there. I would very much appreciate a photo so will pm you

• 4 years later...

I am new to the Great War Forum, but I am researching Cecil Keith Foyle Wright as he has a memorial in a City of London church, St Mary Abchurch. 

I have located him on five other war memorials, but am unable to find a photo of him for the short biography I am writing.

Did you have a photo ?   And of course am happy to share any information I have.

One of the memorials-which I am sure you all have- is that at the Royal College of Music.   There is an account of the opening of the memorial in "The Musical Times" of 1st December 1922, which can be found on archive.org "Type in Wirght's full name) .   The IWM listing for the memorial says there are 21 names on it-but the Musical Times lists 38 names. I have no idea whay the disparity. The music- of which there was,of course, a lot-at the unveiling ceremony was conducted by one Dr. Adrian Boult.  Pehaps the most well-known name on the memorial is that of George Butterworth, whose "Green Willow" will see me off in time.

from a visit to the RCM library many moons ago. The photo I have of their memorial sadly fails to show Wright's name, thanks to a badly positioned cabinet.

PICT1243.JPG

Edited by Kate Wills

PICT1307.JPG

PICT1246.JPG

PICT1245.JPG