Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Thread: German I.G. 71/84 Mounted with a French Mle1866 Chassepot Bayo

MikeS0000

Hello Folks -

Finally got around to taking some pics with the bayonet mounted. Note the bevel that was done on the right side of the grip to allow the retaining pin to pass by. There is a partial eagle stamped on the bottom of the pommel. A bit lower than the usual location so it is imperfect. Together they make an impressive rig... IMHO. happy_small.gif

Best regards!

- Mikepost-23621-0-78724900-1346288581_thumb.j

Closeup of left side...

Closeup of right side...

post-23621-0-63856700-1346288630_thumb.j

post-23621-0-71210600-1346288701_thumb.j

Nice photos Mike.! Very interesting to see what they went through to make that old obsolete yataghan bayonet work in the time of need.

I particularly like the views of the porch and garden surrounds ... very impressive ... the Chassepot not so much.! :thumbsup: (Nice rifle as well.)

Not that its not an interesting bayonet ... just that I don't do French much, and I don't do yataghans much - so the Chassepot is unloved.! :lol:

Cheers, S>S

I agree, very impressive combination, I believe that they were issued to 'landsturm' units etc, do you know if the navy got the bayonets as well? as they also had the 71/84.

thanks

khaki

Thanks S>S. It is interesting to examine the nuances that went into these conversions. The 45 bevel on the side of the grip was the only indicator that this was modified for the 71/84 as well as the 71.

Khaki - Can't tell you for sure if the navy received these bayonets. I don't believe I have seen a period 'Marine' photo with this combination, but it is certainly possible. As ana side, I believe this 71/84 was used by the Kaiserliche Marine, as it is proofed on the side of the buttstock with a "Crowned M" that is larger than the Kaiser's "Crowned W." Can't imagine an inspector doing that!

Best regards!

- Mike