Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1888 Bayonet Marking

Khaki

I have just purchased (mail order) a mk1 ? 88 pattern Wilkinson bayonet, pommel ,markings W.A.M., any thoughts on regiments etc?

thanks

khaki

Going to need to see some pictures I think - nothing obvious springs to mind - and the references of choice don't help at all either.

Some good pictures can sometimes throw up some clues to help point you in the right direction at least. Plus I do like to see them.! ;)

Cheers, S>S

I have just purchased (mail order) a mk1 88 pattern Wilkinson bayonet, pommel ,markings W.A.M., any thoughts on regiments etc?

thanks

khaki

Khaki,

Congrats on the new bayonet, and as said, photographs are always an extra aid.

I can see no British Regimental mark for ' W.A.M ', however a Colonial mark may be a possibility, and it could be the mark for the Western Australian Militia, which was formed in 1903, so the date may also be a match.

Anyway, lets see what other suggestions arise.

Regards,

LF

Thanks for the replies, I haven't received it yet, should take a few days, I should have mentioned that about two weeks before I bought a 1903 pattern from the same source, VG condition and also wilkinson, marked 1BRKS, (1st Berkshire ?). I will try and get some photo's of both with some help from my son

regards

khaki

Thanks for the replies, I haven't received it yet, should take a few days, I should have mentioned that about two weeks before I bought a 1903 pattern from the same source, VG condition and also wilkinson, marked 1BRKS, (1st Berkshire ?). I will try and get some photo's of both with some help from my son

regards

khaki

Look forward to seeing them

Regards,

LF

Hello smleenfield,

Thanks for the link, I found reference to Western Australia Militia, but as a broad term covering many local units. I don't know whether they were under any centralised command known as W.A,M, further reading may reveal more detail and hopefully the arrival of the bayonet may provide some clues, With luck, some Australian Light Horse experts may be able to offer some thoughts as well.

regards

khaki

Thats the thing - just the three letters doesn't give you the whole story, there will be other markings and dates present on the bayonet which will help.

Sometimes they can provide the necessary context to allow the markings to be verified, otherwise it is all just wild speculation without much support.

First we need to establish if it saw British service or Colonial, or perhaps even Indian. If in early Australian service it would most likely be stamped SOS.

This is the "sold out of service" mark which was stamped on all the British equipment that was sold on to the colonies, as shown on the scabbard below.

Cheers, S>S

post-52604-0-22481000-1346414166_thumb.j

Well the 1888 wilkinson arrived, VG condition and I was very satisfied, I now have to find a camera, I don't have one, 'go figure'. however for something to 'chew over', it is stamped on the side of the pommel W.A.M, on the ricasso apart from the wilkinson london it is dated 2.95 with further dates of 99 (bad stamping hard to read) 04 and 07. It also has the bend test, WD , broad arrow and Queens crown with VR and a number of inspector markings on the ricasso and top edge of the blade, also an asterisk stamp on the top of the tang and a couple of tang marks which may be indian?? or unintended markings. As a beginner I don't know enough to draw any conclusions I therefore yield to others. Hopefully I can provide photo's asap.

regards

a happy khaki

ps., no sold out of service mark

Sounds like a nice one Khaki. :thumbsup: With that number of reissues it suggests a considerable time in British service. Surprising there is no 'rack number'.?

Cheers, S>S

Sorry S>S.

I thought I had been thorough, there is a number 422 stamped just below the W.A.M on the pommel. I presume that is the rack number.

regards

khaki

khaki,

Your Pattern 1888 bayonet stampings show it has a nice history.

Again, I can see nothing in the British Regimental marks for WAM, and as these bayonets saw service in the Colonies, and the Western Australian Militia was an ' entity ' in its own right, the abbreviation ' W.A.M ' could be the mark for them.

Here is their 1903 structure, and you will note there were 4 ' WAM ' Units - Light Horse - Field Artillery - Garrison Artillery - Engineers.

Any and all of these WAM Units could have been issued with your Pattern 1888 bayonet.

The Western Australian Garrison Troops were formed as part of the static defence force of the Australian Militia in 1903. It was established to service the catchment region of Western Australia. The various units making up the brigade included all Permenant, Militia and Volunteer military formations.

WA Militia - Light Horse - No. 5 & 6 Squadrons attached to 12th ALHR.

WA Militia - Field Artillery - No. 2 WA Battery, Australian Field Artillery.

WA Militia - Garrison Artillery - No. 1 WA Company, Australian Garrison Artillery.

WA Militia - Engineers - No. 5 Field Company.

Also look very carefully at the pommel mark and make sure there is not an additional ' I ' lurking after WAM, as were the mark to be ' WAMI ' that could be for the Western Australian Mounted Infantry.

Anyway, enjoy owning the bayonet.

Regards,

LF

Thanks for the detailed research LF, I don't recall seeing a number or letter after WAM and I used a jewellers loupe, but I will have another look. Are the inspectors marks researchable?

thanks

khaki

Thanks for the detailed research LF, I don't recall seeing a number or letter after WAM and I used a jewellers loupe, but I will have another look. Are the inspectors marks researchable?

thanks

khaki

The bayonet's inspector's marks are probably the originals dating back to Wilkinson, however, additional marks could have been added later during its ' Colonial ' service.

I am sure if you post photographs of the marks, you will get suggestions.

Regards,

LF

khaki,

Although formed in 1903, the Western Australian Militia were still in existance post WW1, here is an inter-war years photograph of a WAM Lewis Gun section taking part in a military competition.

LF

post-63666-0-44857300-1346522147_thumb.j

Thanks LF ,

It looks like you are on the right track re.,W.A.M, neat photo. There is no letter or number in sequence with the W.A.M. So unless there are any other suggestions it seems a probable answer.

thanks

khaki

Thanks LF,

A nice' study', would that be South African War? I think the bayonet also fitted the carbine, not sure what he is armed with. Maybe if militia it could be post S.A war.

khaki

khaki,

Yes, a very nice photo.

I have no details on the photo, and assume it is pre-WW1.

Looking at the barrel muzzle and bayonet fitting, and knowing that the trooper is carrying a Pattern 1888 bayonet, the rifle is probably a Magazine Lee-Enfield Carbine ( L.E.C I ) - LoC 10220 approved on May 30, 1900, and often referred to as the New Zealand Pattern.

This Carbine was made to take the Pattern 1888 bayonet, and would date the photograph as post 1900.

It is not a Magazine Lee-Enfield Cavalry Carbine, which has a much shorter length of exposed barrel, and did not take a bayonet.

Perhaps another member can identify the Mounted Trooper's Regiment.

Regards,

LF

On the ricasso apart from the wilkinson london it is dated 2.95 with further dates of 99 (bad stamping hard to read) 04 and 07.

It also has the bend test, WD , broad arrow and Queens crown with VR and a number of inspector markings on the ricasso.

As a beginner I don't know enough to draw any conclusions I therefore yield to others. Hopefully I can provide photo's asap.

In the absence of any photos of your bayonet I thought I might run through some of the basics with you from an example that I had 'prepared earlier'.!

Hopefully some photos of your markings will be soon forthcoming as just like in real forensics it is the evidence that will provide you the clearer picture.

So when your bayonet was originally stamped with the WD and Broad Arrow it indicated 'acceptance' into British service at the date of February 1895.

The additional dates that are stamped on the ricasso area (circled in red below) are the dates of 'reissue' into British service from an R.S.A.F. armoury.

In some cases this can mean the item has been in for repairs, but mostly they were just stamped like this every time they were reissued out of stores.

As you can see on the example shown, each date is accompanied by its own inspection mark which was stamped on the bayonet at the time of issue.

The inspection mark contains a letter which indicates exactly which RSAF the inspector was located at - in the example all show the B for Birmingham.

This means this particular bayonet was in British service for all of this time, being continually reissued to British troops from the armoury in Birmingham.

More commonly seen is the inspection marks containing the letter E which indicates viewing by an inspector that was located at the R.S.A.F. at Enfield.

So that is what the extra dates on the ricasso represent and combined with the associated inspection marks provide a good indicator of part of its history.

Cheers, S>S

post-52604-0-33473600-1346623474_thumb.j