Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Filling the gaps...

RangeRover

I have, when an example presents itself at a price I can afford, been accumulating the primary arms of the Great War combatants (some of which I've presented here before). I'm delighted to have been able to find a couple of additions recently which have filled another gap.

The new representatives are French...

The first is a Fusil d'Tirailleurs Senegalais Modele 1907 - a Colonial Berthier, manufactured in 1909

IMG_1688.jpg

The second, which appeared at such a reasonable price I couldn't resist it, is an Mle M 16, an early one produced in a remaining Mle 1907-15 stock.

IMG_2796.jpg

I'm busy acquiring reloading components so I can get them out to the range.

They join my previously-posted MLE Mk 1 (no star), SMLE, Ross Mk II, Ross Mk III, and Gew 98 (substantially easier to acquire ammunition for those).

IMG_0189.jpg

I realize that this hardly represents the "complete set", and I have no expectations of being able to fill in all the spaces, so I'd love to see examples of other Great War arms currently gracing others' collections.

I'd also like to get some sense of the most appropriate bayonets for the two French rifles from tho bayonet experts here.

HERE are a few of minefrom a previous thread

posts 338, 341, 342 in case the link does not work.

I have since picked up a 1905 Ross, and a Greek Mannlicher-Schoenauer but I am still looking for a 3 round format Berthier rifle (such as yours - which looks to be a nice example).

My approach is the same as yours -- I hunt around until there is one I can afford (getting a deal is part of the fun!) this means the examples are not always perfect but they have "Character" and for the most part have "been there" (or somewhere at least)

Chris

Very, very nice, collection there, Chris. Apparently your path leads you in front of acquisition candidates more readily than mine does. :D

I'd also like to get some sense of the most appropriate bayonets for the two French rifles ...

Presumably they both would mount the Epée-Baïonnette Modèle 1886 (commonly known as the Rosalie) or a later variant such as the Mle 1886-15.

However I'm not sure if the colonial Senegalais rifle has the same mounting system. Perhaps it may even fit the Mle 1902 like the Indochinois rifles.?

EDIT. Did some scratching around to find out for sure, and NO the colonial Mle 1907 rifle used a different bayonet again - Epée-Baïonnette Mle 1907.!

By the sounds of it you have a fairly scarce rifle with reportedly less than 25,000 produced. That being so it might be a particularly hard bayonet to find.!

Apparently the Mle 1902 and the Mle 1907 epee-bayonets are almost identical in pattern but are not interchangeable due to the different barrel diameter.

The Mle 1907 also does not have the groove that extends down the left side of the bayonet grip for the clearing rod, which was included on the Mle 1902.

Cheers, S>S

Beautiful examples! I've been looking for a 1907 and a Mark III for years.... with no luck!

Congratulations! :thumbsup:

Best regards,

- Mike S.