Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lt RC Longley London Scottish

Simon_Fielding

Does anyone have access to references on the award of a Military Cross to this officer?

And could someone remind me of the correct title of the battalion? It's London Regiment isn't it?

Simon,

Is indeed London Regiment. According to Army List 1914 the official title of the Regiment is: 14th (County of London) Battalion, The London Regiment (London Scottish). By the way they were the first territorial batallion who were involved in fighting during the Great War. They entered in action during the 1st Battle of Ypres near Messines and did perform very good.

Best wishes,

Jacky

There is no mention of a Lt R C Longley in the regimental history of the London Scottish. He is not listed amongst those receiving any awards.

He is mentioned in the 47th (London) Division history as follows:

Longley, R.C. 2/Lt - 24th Battn London Regiment

MC 24/11/17 [this date is normally date of award, not London Gazette i.e. the MC is for Cambrai]

Perhaps he was 14th attach. 24th? Quite common in the London Regt.

The LS regimental history lists attached officers who gained awards. Perhaps it's just an error, i.e. someone has written 14th instead of 24th.

• 5 years later...
Does anyone have access to references on the award of a Military Cross to this officer?

And could someone remind me of the correct title of the battalion? It's London Regiment isn't it?

I am an ex-''London Jock & Gordon'',well read in my regimental histories,sorry never heard of him though. CockyWeen.