Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

ebay item - British WW1 Pattern Tunic Other Ranks Service Dress Khaki

MikeyO

Apologies if this has already been discussed, there's currently this item listed on ebay:

British WW1 Pattern Tunic Other Ranks Service Dress Khaki Jacket

listed as Late WW1 /or 1922 modification

It apparently has double pleats under the collar but also appears to have the second seam under the arm for the tighter fit. Bidding is already pretty high with around five days to go so people seem to be assuming this is late WW1 rather than the 1922 modification. It'd be interesting to hear the thoughts on this from those that know! Item number is 180960582497

Thanks!

More of a concern is the full lining of the button strip and fly and that the collar seems to be a different material.

I'd say this is probably a 22 pattern (strictly speaking, actually 1921) tunic that has had its collar removed, allowing re-tailoring to provide two darts, possibly for theatrical purposes.

I also have no doubt though that the seller is genuine in their belief in their description of it. Either they have been misled, or I am quite wrong about the item and am more than happy to stand corrected.

Cheers,

GT.

"...possibly for theatrical purposes."

Quite right GT. It is one of the jackets used, in 1990s, for the film 'The Trench', starring Daniel Craig, and recently offloaded by the costume hire company. We have other identical examples in our own hire stock. The badge on the back was a ficticious maroon and grey diamond battle patch and, for some reason, they enlarged all the collars on the SD jackets and added the pleats while the collars were off.

Cheers,

Taff

Just a question - given that definitive reply should the seller be told?

I'm not sure I know what the right approach should be. Genuine question.

Dave

He may appreciate it, no doubt a buyer would be upset if the purchase wasn't the item they expected as it's already at a fairly high price. Could save problems down the line...

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got round to taking these photographs of one of the ones in our store for future reference.

I was wrong about the diamond patch on the back; it was a maroon one. It was the smaller patches on the sleeves which were half maroon, half grey.

The replaced collar and added second pleat are very clear though.

post-1565-0-98410200-1347653288_thumb.gi

post-1565-0-88371800-1347653302_thumb.gi