Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Location of "Eksternest" [near Hooge in Ypres Salient]?

Wexflyer

A relative of mine, Basil Griffiths, was killed in the fighting near Ypres on 3 or 4 of November, 1914. According to a published obituary in De Ruvigny's "Roll of Honour", he was killed in fighting "around Hooge, near Ypres." More specifically, it goes on to say that he was buried at the "edge of a wood, about 800 yards south of the village of Ekstenest". I would very much like to determine where this village of Ekstenest was/is.

So, some questions/comments:

1) I can find no reference to a village of "Ekstenest" near Hooge, but there does appear to have been an "Eksternest". So, I presume that the former is just a misprint for the latter - sound reasonable?

2) There are a number of references to "Eksternest" in war accounts, particularly for 1914. However, I can't find Eksternest on any map, either old or modern, and in particular, this name does not seem to appear on detailed trench maps. Anyone know of a map showing the location of Eksternest?

3) From some of the published comments about Eksternest, it seems to me that it was located between Hooge and Zonnebeke. In this area, maps show a small village or hamlet of "Westhoek". I wonder if Ekesternest is an alternative name for Westhoek, or a sub-part of Westhoek?

Any help with the above questions much appreciated

- Wexflyer

1. Correct, it's spelled "Eksternest". An ekster is a magpie, so it literally means "Magpie's Nest".

2. (and 3) Eksternest is an alternative name for Westhoek, so that's the place you are looking for.

Roel

1. Correct, it's spelled "Eksternest". An ekster is a magpie, so it literally means "Magpie's Nest".

2. (and 3) Eksternest is an alternative name for Westhoek, so that's the place you are looking for.

Roel

Ah, thank you, confirming that makes me feel much better! Any idea what sort of alternative name this was - informal, or a sub-location, or??

Also, would also be great to actually see "Eksternest" marked on a map, if there are any showing it as such.

I'm afraid you'll have to do with this. Not much detail, but it shows Eksternest in the centre.

(I'm sure I have another map with mention of Eksternest, but right now I can't find it. :-( )

If I remember correctly : Eksternest is only found on German maps. Yet it sounds and looks 100% Flemish (Dutch). Besides German for Ekster (magpie) = Elster.

Aurel

Added one minute later. Odd, I had never paid attention to it, but it is not until now that I see that the second letter appears to be -x-. So : Externest instead of Eksternest ? And my own map is a very low resolution, so I cannot zoom in !

(x and ks of course having the same pronunciation. I wish I could find my other map !)

post-92-0-64273900-1346246716_thumb.jpg

Map from "The war diary of the Master of Belhaven". He was with 22nd Brigade RFA in October 1914 and mentions Eksternest as being where the guns took up position on 23rd October.

post-1-0-39935400-1346250081_thumb.jpg

Odd, I had never paid attention to it, but it is not until now that I see that the second letter appears to be -x-. So : Externest instead of Eksternest ?

The Exter is a river in Lower Saxony. Perhaps the German map-writer's thoughts were "at home" when he was making this map?

Roel

Roel, Aurel, Chris,

Thank you all for your assistance with this, very much appreciated. In particular, the maps will enable me to document this for others, for the future.

- Wexflyer

• 9 months later...

I'm afraid you'll have to do with this. Not much detail, but it shows Eksternest in the centre.

(I'm sure I have another map with mention of Eksternest, but right now I can't find it. :-( )

If I remember correctly : Eksternest is only found on German maps. Yet it sounds and looks 100% Flemish (Dutch). Besides German for Ekster (magpie) = Elster.

Aurel

Added one minute later. Odd, I had never paid attention to it, but it is not until now that I see that the second letter appears to be -x-. So : Externest instead of Eksternest ? And my own map is a very low resolution, so I cannot zoom in !

(x and ks of course having the same pronunciation. I wish I could find my other map !)

Eksternest ('K' not 'x')also appears on early 1914/15 French trenchmaps also. An undated 1:40,000 scale French map I have of the area which possibly dates from a number of years before the war started (though it has annotations from March 1915) shows Eksternest in the position of present Westhoek but also shows another Westhoek some 3/4 of a mile to the NE of this hamlet.

Dave

Eksternest and (the other) Westhoek....

post-357-0-52372300-1372424896_thumb.jpg

Eksternest was the location of the German brigade headquarters I think. It's just behind the ridge and Bellewaerde farm, there is a building with a small belltower.