Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Longest of Long Shots - Grandad's Medals

bickerton16/625

Hello All,

I realise that this is a ridiculously long shot but its worth asking the question ust in case miracles do happen...

My Grandfather, George Wood Glen served as a Dispatch Rider initially with the Highland Cyclist Batallion then the Royal Highlanders in France and ended up with the Royal Engineers.

Towards the end of his life, finances were tight and he sold his medals which I believe to have been Pip, Squeak and Wilfred plus a Mention in Dispatches document - this was way back in the mid-1980s and they are probably sitting in someones collection somewhere.

The family would dearly love to "repatriate" them if possible so any assistance as to where they might be would be a great help - as I said its a ridiculously long shot but I live in hope.......

Thanks in advance

His Medal Index card shows only an entitlement to the British War Medal and Victory.

I would advertise this on the British Medal Forum - the more people that know about your quest the better chance you have of finding them.

I wish you luck.

Gents -Thanks for the advice, I'll certainly follow up on the British Medal Forum - that may be my best chance.

Forgive my oversight - I think I was aware the Grandfather only had the two medals - I assume that the lack of 1915 Star means he didnt get into action until 1916 - please correct me if I'm wrong.

i wonder what he was doing in the intervening time?

He originally enlisted in the Highland Cyclist Batallion taking his own motorbike with him (you got paid more for supplying your own bike). Family story suggests that it was a Triumph which was destroyed by a near miss from a shell (and almost took Grandad with it! - he carried shrapnel down his whole right side for the rest of his life - apparently he was not impressed with the replacement supplied by the army.

this all helps to piece the story together.... thanks again