Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Uniform on leave

Armyaviation

Would I be right in assuming that if a soldier was back in UK on leave from the war, then they would have to wear their uniform at all times rather than civilian clothes? If they a member of the Argylls, would they have to wear a kilt as well?as it is part of their uniform. I ask as I recently have been given a pic of an A SH soldier in a photo studio, but dressed in trousers not a kilt.

• Admin

My Great Grandfather was on leave and was dressed in civvies; he was given a white feather. He was a regular soldier in the Artillery. I don't think he was very amused by that!

Michelle

Is he wearing uniform, or are they civilian trousers? I'd be interested in seeing the photo, could you post it here?

I think that if in public (ie on the street) they were supposed to be in uniform but not necessarily full uniform so that trousers as used on fatigues would be ok. It was an army rather than a regimental requirement.

Would I be right in assuming that if a soldier was back in UK on leave from the war, then they would have to wear their uniform at all times rather than civilian clothes? If they a member of the Argylls, would they have to wear a kilt as well?as it is part of their uniform. I ask as I recently have been given a pic of an A SH soldier in a photo studio, but dressed in trousers not a kilt.

In the Highland regiments, the kilt would generally be worn when parading in front of the CO and on regimental duty such as guard duty. In other activities, including walking out, tartan trousers could be worn. In peacetime, everyone would change into trousers or trews after Retreat. All of these generalities were subject to the individual preferences of the commander.

Ah ok, will try and post the pic!they look like plain dark trousers as opposed to tartan trews.thanks for replies

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think they were obliged to wear uniform on leave (how could the Army enforce it?) but it might have been advisable on some occasions:

1. Soldiers in uniform got cheaper railway fares, and their free travel to and from home by rail warrant was, I think, conditional on this anyway.

2. As an earlier post points out, they avoided the attentions of the white-feather fraternity (or should that be sorority?)

3. Probably good for a free drink or two in the local pub.

4. If they overstayed their leave and the police caught them in civvies, a charge of desertion might have been brought.

Ron