Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help with some research required

kingsnorth36

I am trying to find out the circumstances in which Lieut O'Brien RFC killed on 3/3/1916 was killed, Is anyone able to shed some more light only, I have one record which says K.I.A and another Killed in a flying accident, as always all help greatly appreciated

Kingsnorth36

Airmen Died in the Great War shows 2nd Lt Terence Donough O’Brien was killed whilst flying, age 20, as an observer in a 6 Squadron BE2c, No 4324. The pilot, a 2nd Lt R A Pierpoint was injured. This probably occurred whilst flying on non-operational duties.

The Sky Their Battlefield records that whilst flying as an observer in a 6 Squadron BE2c, No. 1784 on 21 September 1915 a 2nd Lt T D O’Brien was involved in a combat with an enemy aircraft at 7,500’ over Polygon Wood. The pilot was 2nd Lt H B R Grey Edwards. Neither crewmember was hurt.

Regards

Mark

Furthermore,

If you are able, the National Archives might be worth a visit.

There is a file for a 2nd Lt T D O’Brien under WO 339/11102 and his RFC service record should be on microfilm in AIR 76.

It might also be worth looking at AIR 1/2412/303/6 - Personal records: officers of 6 Squadron and AIR 1/687/21/20/6 - History of 6 Squadron, R.A.F.

Regards

Mark

Kingsnorth36

A Lt O'Brien of No 6 Sqn was mentioned in RFC Communiqué No 18 for an action on 5 November 1915. When flying with Capt Gossage in an FE2b (No 6 Sqn was the first RFC unit to operate the FE2b, and had 4 of them on strength by September 1915) on artillery observation duties near Ypres he was involved in chasing a German Aviatik that was about 1000-1500 feet above them, and heading for the enemy lines. The enemy machine apparently had no difficulty in outclimbing and outrunning the FE, and it was last seen at 11500 feet, some 2500 feet above the British machine.

I hope this helps.

Gareth

Thanks chaps this lot appeared on e-bay last week as K.I.A group of medals etc, not quite what it seemed.

kingsnorth36

Second-Lieutenant Terence Donough O'Brien 16th Lancers Attached to R.F.C killed in action 3/3/16 in Flanders. he was the only son of Brigadier-General E.D.J. O'Brien C.B. late 14th Hussars,commanding the Western Mounted Brigade and Mrs O'Brien the Rectory,Buxted Sussex. He was 20 years old and educated at Winchester and Sandhurst, being gazetted to the 16th Lancers on Aug 14th 1914. He proceeeded to join his regiment in Flanders October 13rd 1914 and was present in the action of February 21st 1915 in the trenches at Zillebeck, when the Lancers lost heavily. He joined the R.F.C. in Sept 1915 as an observer. Lt O'Brien was a keen sportsman and was a good rider, he was a good shot with both gun and rifle. He was the Grandson of the late Colonel Sir J.T.N. O'Brien K.C.M.G. sometime Governor of Heligoland and Newfoundland and a great-Grandson of the late Major-General T O'Brien commanding troops and Acting Governor of Ceylon.

Information taken from R.F.C Casulties and Honours During The Great War of 1914-17. Published Aug 1st 1917

Regards Doug

Doug / colleagues

Is there any mention of a Richard Evision Kimbell in any of those books. He died with the RFC

Kind regards

Patrick

By the way I have an interest in Lt. O'Brien's father (14th Hussars)

Patrick

I hope this helps

Extract from ’60 squadron, a detailed history (part 2)’ Cross and Cockade Magazine, Volume 11 1980

“Two days late (April 16th 1917) Jasta 11 again caught a patrol, only two aircraft and pilots returning from the six which had set off, led by 2Lt Pidcock, acting A flight commander since Capt Black had been sent back to HE. At about 9.15am the patrol encountered Albatros scouts near Plouvain and although Pidcock drove two of the HA down, Canadian Lt John Elliott was killed near Vitry. Glaswegian 2Lt Norman Robertson was also killed, as was 2Lt Kimbell, and Australian 2Lt Trevor Langwill was wounded, crashed and taken POW , but he died of his wounds Douai the next day. Langwill was shot down by Vfw Festner, but only Lothar Von Richtofen and Wolff made other claims. Thus from this patrol, only Pidcock and Leckie returned to the squadron.”

Alec

Patrick

Further to Alec's post, Lt R E Kimbell was flying Nieuport 23 A6769 when he was shot down.

A photograph of a Nieuport 23 is below.

Cheers

Gareth

post-25-1093381244.jpg

Alec / Gareth

Thank you both. The power of the word and the power of the image. Great!

Very grateful

Patrick

Patrick

Sorry there is no more information on Lt R.E. Kimbell other than Hussars attd R.F.C. 1917.

Regards Doug.

Alec

My sources are 'The Sky Their Battlefield' by Trevor Henshaw and 'Bloody April . . . Black September' by Franks, Guest and Bailey. Both say that A6769 was a Nieuport 23 while the other No 60 Sqn machines lost that day (2Lt D N Robertson in B1501, Lt J McElliott in B1509 and Lt T Langwill in B1507) were Nieuport 17s.

A6769 was in a batch of 200 aircraft bought in France by GHQ RFC (A6601-A6800) which included SPAD S.VIIs and various marks of Nieuports.

Cheers

Gareth

Doug

Thanks for looking

Patrick