Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Leonard Falkner

aengland

I am hoping that someone can help me.

I am researching Lieutenant Leonard Falkner; 8th Lincolnshire Regiment, who died on 25th September 1915, and who is commemorated on the Loos Memorial. He is also commemorated on the Heacham war memorial in west Norfolk, but his connection with Heacham remains a mystery.... he was, as I understand it, a dentist in Wisbech, Cambridgeshire, prior to the start of the war. That is about it really...... that is the sum total of what I know about him!

I have found a reference to him (via google) on page 2466 of the London Gazette dated 10 March 1915.... there it indicates that he was to be made a temporary Lieutenant with effect from 15 Feburary 1915..... the only trouble is the unit he is attached to is on the previous page! I could assume it is the Lincolnshires, but I would rather not assume. Can some kind soul please help me find the previous page? I have not used the London Gazette before and therefore am struggling with that.

I have yet to find an obituary, or a photograph of him

If anyone has anything else on this man then I would be very grateful for any information I could be directed to...

Thank you in advance

Andrew

Thanks very much IPT.... that is the link with Heacham then; but was that his wife or his mother?

Andrew

The History of the Lincolnshire Regiment 1914 - 1918

THE BATTLE OF LOOS: 25TH SEPTEMBER--8TH OCTOBER, 1915

When dawn broke on the 26th September the disposition of the 8th Lincolnshire and other units of the 63rd Brigade was as follows : A, B and C Companies of the Lincolnshire held an east to west line, east of the Lens-Hulluch road and along the southern edge of Bois Hugo and facing Hill 70, three companies of the West Yorks were on the left of the Lincolnshire facing east : the fourth company (II) of the Lincolnshire, with the remaining company of the West Yorks were in reserve in the angle formed by the front line : the Somersets (less two companies) were between the western side of the Lens-Hulluch road and the Chalk Pit Wood, while the York and Lancaster, who by this time had joined, carried the Brigade line along the road north of the Chalk Pit : but the left flank was entirely in the air. The German trenches ran from Hill 70 in a north-easterly direction past the eastern edge of Bois Hugo.

At about 8.1 5 a.m. the three companies of Lincolnshire along the southern edge of the Bois Hugo, opened rapid rifle-fire, which lasted for probably fifteen minutes. Their targets were Germans who had been forced to retire across the northern slopes Of Hill 70 in full view. At from four to eight hundred yards range the Lincolnshire did considerable execution.

In firing, however, they disclosed their position to the enemy's artillery and soon shrapnel began to burst over the trench with the result that one man was killed and four officers (Captain E.M.Harrison and Lieutenants F.G. Haldwell, M.G. Rowcroft and H. Mather) and about fifty other ranks were wounded.

The Brigade was to attack the enemy at I I a.m., but no written orders were issued to battalion commanders : they were told to attack in an easterly direction. The Lincolnshire made one big attack about 6.30 a.m., and advanced about seven hundred yards, but were pushed back some four hundred yards by the enemy about 10.30 a.m., owing to lack of support. At 9.30 a.m. Colonel Walter "reported verbally to the Brigadier that the situation was distinctly unfavourable : that the Germans were pushing through in large numbers and suggesting we should ask for support." (Narrative with the 63rd Brigade Diary)

From 7.30 a.m. till IO a.m. hostile shell-fire was directed on the whole position, but between the latter hour and 10.I 5 it suddenly increased in intensity and the Germans attacked. Although the Divisional artillery made good practice against the enemy, his troops about 2 p.m. worked steadily through the eastern portion of the Bois Hugo. Then suddenly there was a heavy rush of hostile troops.

The enemy debouched from both sides of the Bois Hugo simultaneously, attacking both A, B and C Companies of the Lincolnshire and the three companies of the battalion on the left. The trenches of the latter were quickly overwhelmed, and the surviving occupants fell back in a confused mass to the support trench. Similarly, on the right, A, B and C fell back through the Wood. The three companies of the Lincolnshire retired in perfect order to the support trench, losing heavily both from our own and the enemy's shell-fire. The trench was not nearly long or deep enough to accommodate the troops, many of whom fell back to a sheltering line of trenches west of the Lens-Hulluch road.

Hand-to-hand fighting took place and Captain L.D.McN. Davis led two or three bayonet charges, but without success. Here Lieut.-Colonel H.E. Walter was shot down whilst gallantly calling on his men to go forward with him and attack the enemy. "He stood," said 2nd Lieutenant Cragg, "not knowing what fear was in the midst of a hot fire at close range, forty yards off, calling on us to charge. Just as he led us he fell." Greatly beloved by all ranks of the battalion for his fine soldierly qualities, his loss was sorely felt.

Two companies, A and B, supported by C and D, attacked about 4-30 p.m, and A Company re-took part of Bois Hugo. At 5-30 p.m. the Germans attacked again and A Company lost 2nd Lieutenant Welsh killed, Lieutenants Reynolds and Hall wounded and forty casualties in other ranks.

The enemy was now in complete possession of the Bois Hugo and of the trenches which had been occupied by A, B and C Companies of the Lincolnshire and the three front-line companies of the West Yorks : only the trench which held the two support companies of both battalions resisted capture, and although the Germans tried to rush it they were beaten back again and again. They then brought up a machine-gun, which they placed on the right under cover of the Bois Hugo and from this position enfiladed the support trench.

“Communication was extremely difficult as the holes (which had been dug with entrenching tools) were not connected up throughout the whole length of the trench. In order to communicate with those on the right therefore, we had either to pass verbal messages or to throw written messages on from one hole to the next. At about midday, in this way I found that Lieutenants Hall and van Someran were the only officers of the battalion left. Captain Davis and Lieutenant Faulkner were both in the trench, but very badly wounded, and nothing was known of any of the others. . . . We were, of course, in a very awkward position, but the men had all been very cheery ; they thought, as a result of the fighting on the 25th, that the enemy were really "on the run" and at first we thought that all we had to do was to "sit tight" until the main attack developed at 11 a.m., and then go forward with it. However, 11 a.m. came, but no sign of British troops. (Lieutenant J.H. Alcock.)

The gallant little band of Lincolnshire and other troops who held the support trench were practically surrounded and their position as the day wore on was growing steadily worse. At about 5.30 p.m., the enemy from Bois Hugo rushed the southern portion of the trench, the occupants being unable to put up any further resistance, retired, A Company only having two n.c.o.s and twenty men left. One officer who was taken prisoner, finding that Colonel Walter still lived, (He died of his wounds in German hands on 29th September 1915) was able to go to him and give him a drink of water.

The few officers and men wounded or unwounded who survived the attack, withdrew to about one thousand yards of old German front line, where the Guards relieved them about 4 a.m. on the 27th. The Brigade narrative states that “ subsequently small parties of the Brigade withdrew to the (old) German frontline trenches, the remainder of the Brigade apparently retired straight back beyond Divisional Headquarters. On the following morning (27th September) the remainder of the Brigade finally concentrated in the bivouac area about half a mile northwest of Noyelles-les-Vermelles."

The casualties of the 8th Lincolnshire in this, their first battle were terrible. No less than twenty-two officers had been killed, wounded or taken prisoner.2 In other ranks the total losses were four hundred and seventy-one killed, wounded or missing, of whom one hundred and forty-eight were killed or died of wounds.

Killed: Major J.Y. Storer, Capt. And adjutant J. Topham, Captains S.G. Stromquist and H. Coates, Lieutenants L. Falkner and P.C.W. Bosworth, 2nd Lieutenants J.H.R. Hanning, H.H. Jacobs, J.E.H. Welch and A.W. Bosworth; wounded : Lieut.-Colonel H.E. Walter, and died of wounds, Captain E.M. Harrison, Lieutenant F.G. Haldwell, and Lieutenants F.H. Mather and J. J. Cragg ; missing : Captain L.D. McNaught Davis, Lieutenants J.W. Reynolds, G.W. Parker (died of wounds 29/9/15) and Lieutenants E.C. van Someran, J.H. Alcock and M.G. Rowcroft

Dear IPT.... that is brilliant, thank you very much. I had hoped that I could get hold of a copy of the Regimental History.... forgive me, is this a direct copy or notes you have pulled together?

Andrew

None of the census forms show him with his parents, they always show him either as 'visitor' or living with his uncle.

.......I have found a reference to him (via google) on page 2466 of the London Gazette dated 10 March 1915.... there it indicates that he was to be made a temporary Lieutenant with effect from 15 Feburary 1915..... the only trouble is the unit he is attached to is on the previous page! I could assume it is the Lincolnshires, but I would rather not assume. Can some kind soul please help me find the previous page? I have not used the London Gazette before and therefore am struggling with that.

Andrew

This is what is on the previous page:

The Lincolnshire Regiment.

8th Battalion—

To see this go back to the page you found, read what's in the address bar at the top of the page and you will see 2466/page. Alter 2466 to 2465 and refresh.

CGM

I haven't found a marriage for him yet, so I suspect it may be his mother, Hannah Marie Falkner (nee Bradley), although i'm struggling to connect her to Heacham.

The above text I posted is available to view online here; http://www.ww1photos...yLincsRegt.html

CGM - Another trick is to remove page.pdf - then you can navigate freely on the LG pages.

Dear ss002d6252... thanks for the information. Can you tell me which census and the addresses please?..... any detail would be fantastic

Dear CGM.... thank you; greatly appreciate the help, and the tip. I know what to do another time now.

Greatly appreciate the help

Andrew

Dear IPT..... brilliant, thanks

Andrew

"Northwood", Abbey Park Road Grimsby

"Nephew"

The heads of the household are Alfred Peter Spurr and Dora Mabel Spurr

45 Tavistock Road, Wisbech

"Nephew"

The head of the household is Margaret Dawburn

Tydd St Mary

"Visitor"

The head of the household is Henry Benton

Thanks ss002d6252..... that is really useful

Can I be very cheeky and ask what does it say about who was living at 2 Station Road Heacham in 1911?

Thank you again

Andrew

Unfortunately the properties aren't numbered and I can't be sure they're in numerical order on the 1911 census.

Frank Carrington Falkner married Hanna Marie Bradley in 1887. He died in 1898.

In 1901, his mother Hannah Marie (sometimes known as Marie) Falkner was living with her mother Sophia Bradley in Wisbech with her daughters Irene and Ethel Falkner.

In 1911, she was housekeeper to William and Bertha Lings at 12 Field Road Ilkeston.

She was living in Heacham around 1922 so there may be no link to 1911 census. She may even have been a servant (ironic as she grew up having servants), although it looks to be a very small house.

She died in Surrey in 1941,

• Admin

Should you want a photo of his name on Loos memorial, please let me know by the 2nd week in September

Michelle

Dear IPT, thank you for the detail.... how do you know she was in Heacham around 1922.... and any idea of where she died in Surrey please?

Michelle..... yes please, greatly appreciated; as long as you are not going out of your way. Hope you and all the family are well.

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

I have just seen your post regarding Leonard Falkner and thought that you may be interested to know that I have had his 1914/15 Star Trio and Memorial Plaque in my collection for almost 20 years. From my research of some years ago he was born at Wisbech and educated at The Clee Grammar School, Grimsby. His mother Hannah Marie Falkner was living at 2, Station Rd., Heacham, Norfolk, this was probably around 1920-1922 when the CWGC compiled their registers?

He was commissioned 2/Lt on 7/1/15 into the 8th Bn Lincolshire Regt and promoted to Lieutenant on 12/2/15. I found a short paragraph regarding him in the Grimsby News 24/3/16:

"Some particulars regarding Lieutenant Leonard Falkner, who was wounded at the front have at last reached Mrs Sergeant. Lieutenant Falkner who is Mrs Sergeant's nephew was hit by a bullet on the 25th September in his first attack. His Colonel had fallen wounded and Lieut.Falkner was kneeling beside him--'blazing away with his rifle to keep them off'--says the letter we have been allowed to read. He was soon hit on the left side just above the heart. A man who is a prisoner and was also wounded, says Lieut.Falkner was in the next dug-out to himself and Captain Davis, after they were wounded. He saw Lieut.Falkner lifted out by the Germans but never saw him again. It is just possible that he may still be alive somewhere in Belgium. We trust he may be."

I do have a photograph of him which I can send you a copy if you PM me your email address, this comes from a group photograph.

Best wishes, Robert

A public 'thank you' to 'old owl' for his help, and to all those who have contributed...... I cannot believe that after a few short hours I end up with knowing some detail of Leonard Falkner's early life, have a photo of him and in contact with the collector who has his medals! This forum is fantastic.

Of course, there might be someone who can help me further!

Thanks one and all

Andrew

• 6 months later...

Dear all,

I have too have been researching Lt Leonard Falkner, who was my great grandfather's nephew. I have a wealth of information on him if anyone is interested. Much of which you all had traced, but I hadn't found the Grimsby News article that Old Owl had found, for which many thanks.

Old Owl, I would love to have a photograph of his medals and his Memorial Plaque.

By the way, this is my first post as a member of the Forum!

Cheers Robert

• 10 years later...

A very old thread, but I have an interest in 8 Bn Lincolnshire Regt at Loos.

I have recently noticed in the Tatler (London), (on the British Newspaper Archive via FMP), that every week there is a page with two photographs of named Officers from various Regiments. I found this photograph of the Officers of 8 Bn Lincolns in the Tatler 17/11/1915. All the Officers mentioned in this thread, including L Falkner are named.

2/Lt J H Alcock on the front row was captured. After the war he was required to write an account of the events in Bois Hugo on 26/09/1915. It is contained in a box at The National Archives ref CAB 45/120. My copies are not very good. I took them some years ago with the cameras at TNA.

BNA via FMP

Brian

The_Tatler_17_November_1915_0025.jpg

On 17/08/2012 at 18:34, aengland said:

I am hoping that someone can help me.

I am researching Lieutenant Leonard Falkner; 8th Lincolnshire Regiment, who died on 25th September 1915, and who is commemorated on the Loos Memorial. He is also commemorated on the Heacham war memorial in west Norfolk, but his connection with Heacham remains a mystery.... he was, as I understand it, a dentist in Wisbech, Cambridgeshire, prior to the start of the war. That is about it really...... that is the sum total of what I know about him!

I have found a reference to him (via google) on page 2466 of the London Gazette dated 10 March 1915.... there it indicates that he was to be made a temporary Lieutenant with effect from 15 Feburary 1915..... the only trouble is the unit he is attached to is on the previous page! I could assume it is the Lincolnshires, but I would rather not assume. Can some kind soul please help me find the previous page? I have not used the London Gazette before and therefore am struggling with that.

I have yet to find an obituary, or a photograph of him

If anyone has anything else on this man then I would be very grateful for any information I could be directed to...

Thank you in advance

Andrew

Andrew

I hope you are still following this thread, I notice that you last visited the Forum this month. There is a photograph of Leonard Falkner (courtesy of Robert Falkner) in the book by Nigel Atter, "In the Shadow of Bois Hugo" which is about the 8 Bn Lincolnshire at Loos.

I have advised the publisher Helion and Co.

Brian