Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Replacement parts for MG08, UK?

gnr.ktrha

Hello,

Does anyone know of any UK based dealers that make/supply replacement parts for MG08's ? I am after a condensor tube attachments [the part for the hose and part for the gun] plus a couple of bolts for the top cover. I would also consider getting a set of copy trench armour at the right price! I understand they are making this out in Vietnam!

I have seen some of this stuff advertised on US websites, but the cost of postage makes it very expensive. Does anyone make a copy of the sled mount, yet?

Also, where in the UK is a good place to buy loose inert ammo?

Many thanks for for your time,

Stewart

Long way for you to go, but if you can make to Detling over the Bank holiday there will be dealers selling inert ammo.

No one in the UK is going to mass produce anything here as there is no market. IMA in the states is your best bet.

Obviously If you can borow any originals you can get it copied at a price.

Does the IMA still have a UK based sister company? I am sure that they had something to do with Firepower. Don't think I will make it down to Detling, but I am sure inert ammo will not be too hard to find. I am not after war time dated stuff, just dummy/modern rounds to put in the belt for display.

I had the same parts adrift from an otherwise absolutely original and near mint MG08. I was set off by finding the fitting from the hose on the Somme battlefield, being brass or bronze it was still good. The fitting for the gun is quite complex with ramps etc. I borrowed one from a friend who worked in a National Museum and had it copied by a pattern maker at a light engineering works. Apart from the freshness of the blued finish and the lack of a German inspection stamp you couldn't tell which was which. Worth a go if you can borrow the pieces and can find a skilled machinist - model makers are worth considering. - SW

Hello and thanks for the advice. If you find any hose parts on the somme again, please let me know, as I would be very interested. I think my MG08 has the hose mount for a Vickers MG attached to it, but I am still looking into this.

That is a good idea about getting new bits made, I had not thought of that.

One final question, do the belt started tabs always have marks on them or were some plain? The canvas belt I have seems to have some age to it, but no marks on the metal parts. I am not too upset if it is a modern replacement, but it would be good to know if it could be original.

To be honest, I am just over the moon to have a WW1 German made MG08!

Regards,

Stewart

My own belt had one end missing, but the brass mounts of the other were stamped '1915' but I don't recall the other markings. The cartridge loops were certainly well worn. I also had about a metre of a steel mounted belt with one end fitting but the only markings I recall were ink stamps on the canvas. All the cartridges in this were the same lot of steel cased ammunition dated 5 - 18, by PMF, Dachau. I can be exact about this because I still have two or three of the cartridges. Can't help otherwise. - Good luck - SW

Hello SW,

Thanks for your observations. The belt I have does not appear to have any markings on the canvas or brass parts. It does seem to have some age to it, but to be honest it is a bonus if it is Great war vintage as it was the MG which was the most important part of the collection.

Regards,

Stewart

Does the IMA still have a UK based sister company? I am sure that they had something to do with Firepower. Don't think I will make it down to Detling, but I am sure inert ammo will not be too hard to find. I am not after war time dated stuff, just dummy/modern rounds to put in the belt for display.

Fire Power International or what ever they used to call themselfs are indeed IMA under a different name but no longer trade in the UK.

Stewart please email me on mark.finneran@hotmail.co.uk I can help you with all parts you need, original. Also if you do not want to post images then please send me views to assist. A pity you had not contacted me earlier I was in Lossiemouth last year.

Sommewalker may we speak too?

Mark