Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

177 Bde RFA

mutley

No, but I know they are mentioned in the Farndale history, as my eye has been caught when looking for 277th Brigade. Would you like me to look for them, or have you seen that book?

Daggers

Daggers

thanks for posting, never heard of the Farndale history, if you could have a look that would be great. Im trying to find out if there is any mention of the wounding of Bdr WH Walker who died of wounds on 04 04 18 or the reason for the award of a MM which was gazetted in Sept 17.

thanks

Mutley

There might bea reference to a VC,but otherwise a personal mention is highly unlikely in this book. I will look for any reference to 177th Bde tomorrow, and give you the full title etc.

D

The book is The History of the Royal Regiment of Artillery, Western Front 1914-18 by General Sir Martin Farndale KCB, Royal Artillery Institution, 1986. Copies are pricey on the 2 hand market and I suggest you try for one on inter library loan, as I have.

The brigade was in 16 Div, 19 Corps at 3rd Ypres, to Nov 1917, then in 16 Div, 6 Corps at Cambrai. Spring 1918 at St Quentin, around Ronssoy, Bapaume in March. D and B batteries are mentioned and an officer or two. The brigade is praised for its stance under severe attack.

My scanner is out of action so I cannot copy passages for you, but suggest it is well worth trying to borrow a copy of the book.

Daggers

Daggers

Thanks very much I think I'll have to take a trip to Kew and get a copy of the War Diary and see if my man gets a mention. Initial research indicates that hiw MM was won between March and August 1917 and I know that he died of wounds on 04 Apr 1918 at a Casualty Clearing Station.

Thanks again for your help

Mutley

It may be worth spending time looking through local newspaper archives for a report on the MM award. The war diary for 277th Bde did mention awards but merely as fact, and no account of the incident.