Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

War and Victory Medal

Khaki

You need to find the appropriate Medal Index Card that will tell you what the soldier was awarded.

I'm not sure there is any other way of telling.

Sandie

Apart from having their service records which would state them

regards

Robert

How does one determine whether a Great War pair started life as a pair or is actually a trio missing the star??

Thanks

khaki

If you post his details here, then I am sure that someone will assist you to find the relevent MIC :thumbsup:

Robert

Thanks for the replies, I don't have any names/medals that need researching, but my thoughts came from seeing medals sold being described as 'missing the star', I had thought that maybe there was a special technique, eg., service numbers, prefixes or regiments or maybe a combination of all three. Something like a regular army 'low' four digit service number which would suggest that the recipient would likely have been

entitled to a star medal and make a "pair" possibly a broken trio.

Is there any logic to my theory, or am I 'way off target'??

thanks

khaki

Khahi,

A low service number wouldn't necessarily entitle a man to a medal, he would have to be in a war zone for that. Could have been sick and missed a draft

or any other number of reasons. Either the MIC, medal rolls or service documents are the only sure way of determining what medals he has been awarded.

With a low number he may have been a veteran of India or the Boer War and he may have been held back as an instructor in a training roll......

Mike