Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pattern 14 Volley Sight Markings or lack there of.

wattsm

Good day to one and all. I have two questions for the group.

Does anybody out there have any detailed information on whether the volley sight parts were generally always marked by the manufacturer. I have a rather pristine condition rear sight arm that has no maker marks of any kind on it. I know where the "E", "R" and/or "W" are supposed to be and on this piece those locations are all blank. Indeed the whole piece is blank and looks to always have been so. Based on the wear patterns, the part has clearly been mounted and spun. On the back, in the vicinity of the juncture of arm and base are what I think is a 0 (zero) as well as an 8. I tried to do a couple of pictures but they did not come out very well and were to big to upload; need more practice at it I guess.

Second, does anybody know of some "exchange" where one can try to swap parts. For example, I have a WRA DP rifle that is in well worn condition as would be expected. It came with volley sights that are near mint and stand out like a sore thumb. I guess someone before me tried to put it back to original condition. Anyway, I would love to be able to swap them with someone who has a much better condition rifle and is unsatisified with the parts they have. My other alternative is to age them down to the condition of the rifle. That I will not do as it would be a travesty give the condition of this volley sight set.

Thanks for any assistance on either question.

Pig6

Volley sight pieces for Pattern 14s have been reproduced in the US for several years, it is possible you have one of those.Numrich (Gunparts Corp.) of West Hurley NY used to sell them.

From memory (I cannot get to mine at the moment) the volley sight parts on my Winchester P14 are marked -- but I could be mistaken. I will try and check later.

I do not know of a general exchange site, but there are several firearms forums (eg Gunboards) that have trading boards and quite a bit of informal swapping goes on between members - you might try these.

Chris.

Thanks for the reply and soory for the delay in response. I checked Numrich and they claim their Pattern 14 "spring rests with volley sight arm" are original. The picture is of an original one but with Gun Parts who ever knows what they will get. The reproductions, which are all out of stock, are for the SMLE. Anyway, I will look into the other sites for someplace to swap parts; I appreciate your taking time to respond.