Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Confused With Victory Medal

TParker96

Hi,

I was wondering if somebody could help me sort of the confusion with a relatives medal I have recieved. My relative is called John Edward Hazel and he ended his service with the Royal Engineers as a Sapper in the Railways section under the army number WR/276521.

Also, his medal roll comes under the Royal Engineers and I was able to get a copy of his medal roll under the RE which confirms this. However, when i came into the possession of his Victory Medal it was enscribed 41670 PTE J E Hazel, Manchester Regiment which was where he first served before he moved to the Royal West Kent Regiment and Royal Engineers during the war.

I would have assumed that his medal would have been engraved with his details for the RE as that was where he served last and where his Medal Rolls are put under.

Hopefully somebody can help me, thanks.

Thomas

post-72210-0-17567400-1344892617_thumb.p

post-72210-0-22948200-1344892694_thumb.p

Hi Thomas,

Generally the regiment which is impressed upon the BWM and VM is the unit with which a soldier first served overseas in a theatre of war.

Hope this answers your question.

Robert

Hi Robert,

Thank you for that, I never knew that so it has helped me a lot. At least I know a bit more about his service in WWI in terms of which unit he first went out to war with.

Thomas