Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Illustrated Guide Book and Leeds Pals Cap Badge

ATNOMIS

Pals

Along with the collection a Illustrated Guide Book by F Wilkinson and a Leeds Pals Cap Badge.

Again your thoughts on the Cap Badge.

Thanks in Advance

Simon

GEDC0127.jpg

GEDC0128.jpg

Unfortunately I can confirm without much doubt that this is a copy. The originals have two lugs rather than a slider and more importantly the legs of the owls are too long where they attach horizontally to the shield, also their bodies are rather too slender--the real McCoy have a much 'fuller' body :whistle:

There are also other minor discrepencies!!

I am pleased to say however that the book comes up to scratch :thumbsup: Although this could also be a reprint!!

Robert

I've just been looking back at all of your related threads on this collection and have seen enough to be a little concerned. I strongly recommend that you take Graham Stewart's advice and post these pictures on the British and Commonwealth Military Badge Forum for an experienced eye (certainly no disrespect to Robert who has raised a number of concerns). They have a dedicated thread called "Restrikes, Forgaries and Fakes". I stopped collecting badges a number of years ago as I like to do most of my shopping on the net and the only real way of telling fake from the authentic is, for me, the feel and the weight. I only really trusted the badges I collected in the early '70s as a boy with many of these coming from the original wearer.

Certainly not spreading doom and gloom, just recommend exercising a little caution.

Suddery

I've just been looking back at all of your related threads on this collection and have seen enough to be a little concerned. I strongly recommend that you take Graham Stewart's advice and post these pictures on the British and Commonwealth Military Badge Forum for an experienced eye (certainly no disrespect to Robert who has raised a number of concerns). They have a dedicated thread called "Restrikes, Forgaries and Fakes". I stopped collecting badges a number of years ago as I like to do most of my shopping on the net and the only real way of telling fake from the authentic is, for me, the feel and the weight. I only really trusted the badges I collected in the early '70s as a boy with many of these coming from the original wearer.

Certainly not spreading doom and gloom, just recommend exercising a little caution.

Suddery

Hi Suddery,

I must agree with your caution regarding badges in general. I stopped collecting badges also in the early '80s and went onto medals in preference, which of course are also copied and forged etc, etc.. Possibly a case of: "out of the frying pan and into the fire" but medals are so much more researchable :thumbsup:

I hope that someone else comes along with another opinion on these badges.

Robert

Robert post 2 is spot on. Just one other comment just as not everyone on here is an expert on WW1, not everyone on the Military Badge Forum is an expert on badges.

Thank you all.

Robert

A reprint After a long look in the book

First edition 1969

Sec Ed revised 1971

Sec impression 1972

Third impression 1976

Third edition, with Price Guide Supplement, 1978.

Simon.