Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Collection of Cap Badges. Part 1

ATNOMIS

Pals.

A mate has given me a collection of Cap Badges. He has collected since the 70's and he passed these on to me, he's stopped collecting and wishes me to have them. We have talked money but I'm unsure of the price.

Your thoughts please. I have a few concerns on a few I'll post later.

Thanks in advance.

Simon

GEDC0115.jpg

GEDC0116.jpg

Simon - you're probably better off having them checked over at the British & Commonwealth Badge Collectors Forum at this link;-

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php

They have many members who are familiar with the repro's that began to crop up in the early 80's, so they'll be able to tell you which are pukha and which aren't.

Robert & High wood

Many Thank you for your replies.

I have few of these Badges in my so called collection from dealers and what Ive picked up over the years.East Surrey seem to have sweat holes and is a massive give away when they don't.

Regards

Simon

I am sorry but I disagree. Except for the East Surrey Regiment badge there is a notable absence of sweat holes; the sliders don't appear to be long enough in most cases and there is a distinct lack of the patina associated with cap badges dating from the Great War.

I think if you look a little closer you will see that the Suffolk badge has large sweat holes as does the Middlesex badge and the Welsh badge will almost certainly have one behind the slider!! I do agree with you on the Cambridge badge which is certainly more than a little suspect and of course the Gloucesters doesn't need sweat holes anyway.

As for looking the part, I think that you are being a little harsh with the lack of patina comment--but of course this is only my opinion. The length of the sliders is pretty standard too.