Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mould on Headress

nfh249

I have couple of head dress items, a slouch hat and a beret, which I noticed the other day have what appear to be small patches of mold (I assume) on them. They are small circular patches white or light grey in colour on the brim and pugaree of the slouch hat and on the band of the beret. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how best to remove them and how I can prevent them from occuring in the future?

Thanks,

Neil.

Hi,

They are more than likely moth casings rather than mold. It could be an old infestation, but if they are newly noticed to you, then it is active and more larvae are proably gestating. They can be dormant for ages but when heat, temperature and humidty all reach optimum - bingo! Lightly brush the area, vacume all your seams thoroughly and wrap them in a plastic bag and stick them in the freezer for a few weeks, then take it our and rest it at room temperature for a week or so, re-vacum all the seams and surface area, inside and out. Then back in the freezer for a few more weeks. That should solve your problem. Moth larave don't actually eat the wool - they eat the proteins on the wool fibres, such as from sweat, body oils etc. The wool fibres happen to be attached. Clean wool does not get moths, but cleaning our smelly old clothes is often problematic. So basic fumigation is reccomended. I'd do the same freeze cycle with any new wools you introduce to your collection.

If it should happen to be mould, then the freezing will do for that as well.

Thanks all for the advice, I will get freezing asap!

Cheers,

Neil.

If it is moth (as long as the item is small enough) pop it in the microwave for a minute or two

Andy

• 1 month later...

This may be of further interest with regard to storage. I have been advised that at Royal Residences all Court and other uniforms etc are stored in paper as against plastic as storage in plastic can contribute to mould.

NB nothing about freezers :ph34r: